Author Topic: Focus ST vs i30N vs GTI TCR  (Read 3957 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Focus ST vs i30N vs GTI TCR
« on: 11 November 2019, 15:39 »
Just read this:

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/comparison/2019/focus-st-vs-i30n-vs-golf-gti-tcr/

I'll put the conclusion here because its no doubt what you want to read first like I did:

First place: Ford Focus ST
The best car to drive, and strikes the best balance between fun and family. No longer cheap, though.

Second place: Hyundai i30N
Bargain hooligan is still thoroughly entertaining, but the new Focus ST is easier to live with.

Third place: VW Golf GTI TCR
Still got it, but too sensible to stir the soul, despite being the quickest and most powerful car here.

Its a view I am sure that its possible to justify. I'm not sure I agree though, not unless your purpose is simply to have the nimblest car on the track. Most of us have to use these things all day.

When you look at it like that, the discounted price of a TCR is about the same as the price of an ST. Only the I30n is cheaper. Neither of the non-Golfs (lol!) are actually as nice a car to live with or look at.

As with all of these comparisons, it would be different if you were comparing a Megane RS and a Civic Type R in here...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Andy198

• Not said much yet
Re: Focus ST vs i30N vs GTI TCR
« Reply #1 on: 11 November 2019, 16:16 »
I wouldn’t spend that money on a Ford.
I strongly considered the Hyundai and it’s a brand I respect. But, I couldn’t stand the Fisher Price interior and it’s manual only when I wanted an auto/DSG this time. It’s a great looking car but for me there was only one choice, the GTI.
Regrets? Nah.  :cool:
GTI PP Mk7.5 with DCC, Sunroof, Brescias / BBS SR & 90% Tints

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 11 November 2019, 17:10 »
Couldn't see any prices on the article. Ford looks ok outside and just a bit crap on the inside.

There's only really one car you'd actually buy.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 11 November 2019, 17:11 »
I wonder which one would be the cheapest if you looked at PCP quotes on them?

I know not everyone uses PCP, but its a good indicator of cost of ownership for 3 years.

Suspect the I30n and ST are more expensive to own like that - in fact most things are compared to a Golf.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jason b

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 11 November 2019, 18:40 »
I would have the golf over all of those but then thats slightly obvious as this is a VW forum .but I would
Night blue MK7 GTI keyless winter pack nav camers etc very partial to a Ducati and a Fs1e.A serial Le Mans 24 attendee 13 starts in a row to date

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 11 November 2019, 23:03 »
The Hyundai isn't as bad as people make out and it definitely doesn't have a Fisher price interior as mentioned earlier. Fuel economy is it's let down.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 12 November 2019, 00:26 »
That's quite an entertaining read. 

But one particular aspect of the Focus' appraisal bugged me:

The summary states:
That's what makes the Focus ST the best balance between logic and emotion.......But it's still a Focus, and this generation in particular is very good family transport.

When earlier in the article:
......the Focus still claims the dubious honour of being the firmest car here in its most relaxed damper setting. The ride in everyday situations is generally bearable, but it's incredibly jiggly through a pothole-riddled village. Sport and then Track increase that stiffness,

To my mind, that conclusion is directly contradicted by the suspension's comfort shortcomings.  Which makes me wonder about the accuracy of his assessments overall.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 12 November 2019, 07:04 »
GTI - "The Golf is definitely more road car than track car", "It's properly quick yet feels safe and solid to drive quickly"

i30N - "The i30 N is a workout to drive aggressively", "The steering is heavy even in its most relaxed setting", "The clutch is supremely well weighted for driving like your hair's on fire, if a touch too heavy for long traffic-jam crawls"

ST - "The ride in everyday situations is generally bearable, but it's incredibly jiggly through a pothole-riddled village"

As 99% of my time in the car is spent in traffic on pothole-riddled roads I'll live with the lack of mid corner lift-off oversteer and a manual gearbox and accept the fact that should I ever find myself on a race track in my daily the guys in the ST's and i30's may have slightly bigger smiles on their faces (although those on the track in actual race cars will be using clutch-less paddle shift gears and trying every kind of set up to avoid lift-off oversteer  :wink:)

Jake's perception of what a hot hatch needs to deliver is clearly very different to mine, and I'd suggest many others, but it would be a boring world if we all thought the same way.
TCR 3 door

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 12 November 2019, 08:37 »
Not down on any of these cars, different neighbours have both the Fiesta and Focus ST and they look good out there

Had a good look around a i30 N about 3 months ago and think it has more going for it than not, and if Hyundai close the gap on some of the comments that car repeatedly gets in the next version it could really put itself into the mix - There is as many if not more who desire DSG these days so that would be a start - The interior does need a lift still but its not a huge one, its a lot closer than many indicate. The way prices are going the i30 N could be something to really look at when next version rolls out.

My car always has to be a daily first but as I love my cars it must also have the ability to transform into something with decent performance and some presence and the GTI/R hit that sweet spot perfectly - I tend to take the writers reviews who focus on just the track abilities and their version of 'fun' as actually being the car that is NOT for me as its likely going to be tiresome to drive when on day duties.

Of course I do more diligence than that but these type of track focused reviews are the first warning signs.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 12 November 2019, 08:58 »
Not down on any of these cars, different neighbours have both the Fiesta and Focus ST and they look good out there

Had a good look around a i30 N about 3 months ago and think it has more going for it than not, and if Hyundai close the gap on some of the comments that car repeatedly gets in the next version it could really put itself into the mix - There is as many if not more who desire DSG these days so that would be a start - The interior does need a lift still but its not a huge one, its a lot closer than many indicate. The way prices are going the i30 N could be something to really look at when next version rolls out.

My car always has to be a daily first but as I love my cars it must also have the ability to transform into something with decent performance and some presence and the GTI/R hit that sweet spot perfectly - I tend to take the writers reviews who focus on just the track abilities and their version of 'fun' as actually being the car that is NOT for me as its likely going to be tiresome to drive when on day duties.

Of course I do more diligence than that but these type of track focused reviews are the first warning signs.

I think that's the main issue with so many traditional head 2 head reviews is they might try and give it 'in the real world you'd buy this one' review but they never do. I used to subscribe to evo for over 13 years (if anyone wants any old copies let me know as I'm offloading them!) and its great that they concentrate on the thrill of driving but realistically, cars for a lot of people have to serve a lot of purposes.

Ownership includes all the boring stuff and financials such as servicing, dealers, depreciation etc and actually living with a car day to day, using it for normal stuff when you aren't blasting down B roads. The Golf does all this so well that it just means the others aren't as good. Of course, we drive Golfs so we are biased. But until I had my first Mk7.5, I'd never had a Golf or even a hot hatch.

Hyundai's have come a long way but agreed, whilst a manual appeals and is fun, it's just not what most people want these days as once you've tried a good DSG/PDK or latest auto you realise the manual is dead for day to day. Mine is getting its headlight fixed again and I've had a Tiguan for a day and its the 1.5 TSI with a manual. Sort of ok for a day but would be so much better with DSG for my commute. Plus same economy as the Golf this morning - 18mpg  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: 12 November 2019, 09:50 by Jim_mk7.5 »
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey