Author Topic: How much is it worth as CatD  (Read 1235 times)

Offline JonnoGti

• GTI forum regular
How much is it worth as CatD
« on: 11 January 2006, 14:47 »
I recently bought a Y-reg Mk 4 Golf GTi T 180. It is registered as Cat D. I paid £4900. I only bought it as i feel I can make a profit on it ( as soon as log book arrives from DVLA its being advertised). The story is that the engine caught fire whilst being driven by the previous owner. It was written off. It was replaced with a 04 1.8T Bora engine that had been chipped to 180 with 17,000 miles on the clock. The replacement engine was fitted by a main VW dealer in Newcastle. I have the reciept for this. A digital mileage correction needs to be done to change it from 76000 to  roughly the 19000 that its done now. I took a chance buying the car but it drives great and have had no problems whatsoever. Its the 2001 exclusive model so its got the recaro sports seats and uprated Gamma system. I have previouseley had a 2.0GTI mk 4 and apart from the leather this car is just as good. Its also got upgraded RS4 18" alloys. Apart from this is standard. Engine is in mint condition and bodywork is good too. Id have no quarms about keeping it but Ive got my heart set on a Black Tdi as this is indigo blue and a bit thirsty on the juice for me. It does about 315 miles for a full tank which is about right according to threads on here from other owners. Anyway just wondering what you peeps think i should be asking for? As i said the car is great. Remmember I want to make a profit lol!! Thanks guys- Jonno

Offline Bazzer

• I live here
Re: How much is it worth as CatD
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2006, 15:23 »
Well dunno if I can help on the price front, but just how legal can it be to correct a milage based on what the engine has done? I mean, I know you have to service the engine at 'milage' intervals and that's a good indicator of what's what with the car, but what about the drivetrain, interior, paintwork and so on...? I think I'd be able to suss if a car had actually done 60000 miles more than the clocks said.... Don't wanna offend but I'm not sure you'd get away with it....  :smiley:

Bazzer

Offline JonnoGti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2006, 15:37 »
No that cool, thats prob why i havent got it done. At the end of the day ill  leave the mileage as it is but the owner will know that the engine is like new.

Offline R32_T

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2006, 14:52 »
In all honesty mate, you've just told us the whole story, it would only be worth around £4500 as its on the list......

2001 20V Turbo                                                                                1997 VR6 Highline
"Granny shifting not double clutching like you should"