Author Topic: Mk3 golf welding floor  (Read 6627 times)

Offline Setch20

• Just got here
Mk3 golf welding floor
« on: 02 April 2016, 23:17 »
Hello everyone, looking for a bit of advice/knowledge.

I had a few rust patches/holes in my mk3 project's floor in the common places (the drain hole in drivers/passengers front and drain plugs in rear were fuel pipes and brake lines run). Which I've now removed the rust of and welded patches in from the inside, but while undersealing the bottom somebody was watching and told me that for it to pass the mot the patches need to be seam welded from underneath as they are within 6 inches of the channels that run down the floor underneath.

Now I'm pretty sure that's not right, the welds are good in the top and the patches are solid but I've put off undersealing the bottom until I'm certain, so any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Offline gazareth

• I live here
Re: Mk3 golf welding floor
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2016, 00:19 »
why not stick it in for the mot with the carpets out :wink:

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2016, 08:36 »
I had to do my polo floor for Mot once in the back foot well and I undersealed it. All my tester asked me was did I weld it on the inside.
But every tester is different when it comes to these things.

Imo if it welded it shouldnt matter which side it is done. Its not going to be any stronger of a weld being done from the underneath.

Offline Setch20

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 03 April 2016, 08:39 »
Well that's what I thought, his opinion was it needed to be welded from underneath aswell as inside, just seems overkill to me.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #4 on: 03 April 2016, 21:17 »
A little. I mean if you welded it flush it would still only be welded one side. I dont see the logic of welding both sides unless he going qt there is unwelded metal where youve ovelapped the plate to the hole.
But I dont know how youve welded it to comment on hows its done

Offline Setch20

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 04 April 2016, 19:21 »
Ok thanks,

I've welded it the same as would be seen on most forum posts already, so as far I'm concerned pretty strong welds. I have tried to seam it from the to  and the plates are really solid, just think I might be worrying about nothing. There was already a plate that had been done before the mot and my weld is definatly better than that one, and that passed the mot just fine.