Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362444 times)

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
I'd be informing VWCS once again about the prevalence of this fault and the number of times they have funded the whole cost of the repair. My son had his done totally FOC. I swapped mine myself. Its a £35 part.

Offline Jags 84

• Not said much yet
The dealer and VWCS seem to have joined alliances and are singing off the same sheet. It was escalated to the senior manager then her manager at VWCS but they are all agreeing with the offer on the table which is a joint contribution being made by VWCS and the dealer.

I have had to authorise the repair at £3k as this has been going on for nearly 7 weeks and they are demanding I either return the courtesy car or collect my car!

I have tried citizens advice bureau which was a absolute joke I am working man and cannot afford to sit around there all day as I did on Monday to be told they cannot see me as too many people had turned up. I had a talk with a solicitor who read the letter I sent VWCS and the dealer outlining the case however seems to think it is not worth taking to court as it may cost upto £2k to get it to court. He also said VW will have good lawyers backing them as well which put me off.

The car does have a aftermarket warranty which said they would not cover the timing chain at the time I first dropped it in for investigation as it was done to wear and tear. They said if I continued driving it would be seen as driver negligence. Could I debate this with them?

Thanks

Offline bcarlin

• GTI forum regular
Can anyone recommend a garage near glasgow/Lanarkshire to do this ?

Offline joe6

• I live here
The dealer and VWCS seem to have joined alliances and are singing off the same sheet. It was escalated to the senior manager then her manager at VWCS but they are all agreeing with the offer on the table which is a joint contribution being made by VWCS and the dealer.

I have had to authorise the repair at £3k as this has been going on for nearly 7 weeks and they are demanding I either return the courtesy car or collect my car!

I have tried citizens advice bureau which was a absolute joke I am working man and cannot afford to sit around there all day as I did on Monday to be told they cannot see me as too many people had turned up. I had a talk with a solicitor who read the letter I sent VWCS and the dealer outlining the case however seems to think it is not worth taking to court as it may cost upto £2k to get it to court. He also said VW will have good lawyers backing them as well which put me off.

The car does have a aftermarket warranty which said they would not cover the timing chain at the time I first dropped it in for investigation as it was done to wear and tear. They said if I continued driving it would be seen as driver negligence. Could I debate this with them?

Thanks

You could try these folk. They have quite a bit of clout. Small joining fee though. http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act#link-5
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Rgdogg

• GTI forum regular
Had a new timing chain and tensioner replaced under warranty at VW Crosshills. Ben is a top bloke who works there except for the 1 litre polo Manual he gave me to use for 4 days, never have I had to put a car in second gear to get up a hill before!
Car is an 2009 with 47000 miles on the clock with only the slightest of rattles on start up.
Gti, Candy White, 3door, DSG, Leather, Rear LEDs, Bluefin, Milltek, vwr intake, Focal speakers.

Offline mikegti77

• Not said much yet
@ andygo (or anyone else who done the tensioner job)

I'm looking at potentially doing this job with a friend on his car, when you installed the new tensioner, did you need to make any adjustments to it, i.e. move the spring collar (I think it has one), or just basically bolt it in place, from your write up:

"Once its in, pull the small flat retaining clip out and the tensioner shaft will spring out onto the guide rail pad. Its ok then to cut cable ties."

Or am I getting myself confused?

Cheers
MK7 GTI, Carbon Grey, Pan Sunroof

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
After you have cable tied the chain in place so the tension is kept on it (as per pix) then unbolt the old tensioner and replace it with your new one. The new one is in a compressed state, held by a small flat retaining clip. Pull the clip and the piston pops outwards onto the chain tensioner pad. No adjustment is necessary.

Its very straightforward and obvious once you are there. Don't pull the clip out until its in place though! Any questions just ask.

Offline mikegti77

• Not said much yet
After you have cable tied the chain in place so the tension is kept on it (as per pix) then unbolt the old tensioner and replace it with your new one. The new one is in a compressed state, held by a small flat retaining clip. Pull the clip and the piston pops outwards onto the chain tensioner pad. No adjustment is necessary.

Its very straightforward and obvious once you are there. Don't pull the clip out until its in place though! Any questions just ask.

Thanks andygo.

That makes sense what you say, the circular metal clip, I thought that would need to be moved down the grooves (once the tensioner is uncompressed), i.e. to not allow the tensioner to retract fully?

I had problems inserting an image of the clip, but it is shown here on post number 115 & 107 (3rd pic): http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55992&page=6

I know in theory this clip should not be needed, only in the event of internal spring failure, correct?

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: 13 October 2014, 12:13 by mikegti77 »

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
The clip is only in place to allow the tensioner to be fitted. Once in place, you can take the clip out and throw it away. The internal spring propels the small ram onto the chain tension pad and automatically adjusts itself to the correct tension.

Unlike the early version which you are replacing, it appears to be a fit and forget item!

Early version here:

The one in that picture is the early version which you are replacing. The other one looks quite a lot different, see below. The retaining clip is easy to spot, its made out of mild steel with a tab that you use to pull it out once installed, but not before!

« Last Edit: 14 October 2014, 12:34 by andygo »

Offline mikegti77

• Not said much yet
The clip is only in place to allow the tensioner to be fitted. Once in place, you can take the clip out and throw it away. The internal spring propels the small ram onto the chain tension pad and automatically adjusts itself to the correct tension.

Unlike the early version which you are replacing, it appears to be a fit and forget item!

Early version here:

The one in that picture is the early version which you are replacing. The other one looks quite a lot different, see below. The retaining clip is easy to spot, its made out of mild steel with a tab that you use to pull it out once installed, but not before!

thanks that's clearer

mike