Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362368 times)

Offline Poached

• I live here
The policy states cambelt and all internal moving parts of the engine, but Warrantywise are saying the cam chain tensioner isn't one of them!  I argued the toss but it didn't get me anywhere - in the end I cancelled the policy in disgust and was given a £60 consolation payment(!). Looking online, they've done the same to a hell of a lot of other people so I'm surprised they're still in business.  Never again will I deal with them or any garage that uses them. I'll put my foot through the TV next time that Quentin twit turns up advertising them!  I paid myself and picked the car up today... so happy to have it back and now have the peace of mind of a proper two year VW warranty on the work done :D

These car warranties are a virtual scam, carefully worded with caveats all over the place and as the car ages the level of cover becomes pointless with exclusions. At least you know now...

Wonder how much Quentin was paid to front it...

Offline Hardwell

• Not said much yet
The policy states cambelt and all internal moving parts of the engine, but Warrantywise are saying the cam chain tensioner isn't one of them!  I argued the toss but it didn't get me anywhere - in the end I cancelled the policy in disgust and was given a £60 consolation payment(!). Looking online, they've done the same to a hell of a lot of other people so I'm surprised they're still in business.  Never again will I deal with them or any garage that uses them. I'll put my foot through the TV next time that Quentin twit turns up advertising them!  I paid myself and picked the car up today... so happy to have it back and now have the peace of mind of a proper two year VW warranty on the work done :D

These car warranties are a virtual scam, carefully worded with caveats all over the place and as the car ages the level of cover becomes pointless with exclusions. At least you know now...

Wonder how much Quentin was paid to front it...

My understanding is that he has his own money in the business.  As you say, after market warranties are absolutely worthless and I wouldn't be fooled with the sales patter next time. As far as I'm concerned now, the only warranty worth having is the manufacturer's one.
MK6 Golf GTi - Candy White - Xenons - RNS510 - Dynaudio - Bluetooth - 18" Monzas. Mods so far - Genuine LED rears - Milltek exhaust.

Offline chris1h

• Here all the time
  • MK6 GTI BLACK 3 DOOR
UPDATE UPDATE

Friends mk6 tensioner went the other week there.

59 plate ,   42k miles , warranty paid everything!  :whistle:
MK6 GTI - 2011 - PEARL BLACK - 3 DOOR  - 18" MONZA SHADOWS  -  RNS510/DAB  -  ACC  - SUNROOF  -  WINTER PACK  - DYNAUDIO  -  VIENNA LEATHER  - PARKING SENSORS  - BLUETOOTH

Offline Hardwell

• Not said much yet
Was that through Warrantywise?! Well done to your mate if so as I couldn't get a penny out of them.  I will only touch warranty plans offered by VW from now on.
MK6 Golf GTi - Candy White - Xenons - RNS510 - Dynaudio - Bluetooth - 18" Monzas. Mods so far - Genuine LED rears - Milltek exhaust.

Offline chris1h

• Here all the time
  • MK6 GTI BLACK 3 DOOR
Was that through Warrantywise?! Well done to your mate if so as I couldn't get a penny out of them.  I will only touch warranty plans offered by VW from now on.

just read further up there and your problems! sorry to hear that mate! sounds a right pain and something i will be telling other about "warranty wise". Luckily my friends was through VW the warranty not a external company.
MK6 GTI - 2011 - PEARL BLACK - 3 DOOR  - 18" MONZA SHADOWS  -  RNS510/DAB  -  ACC  - SUNROOF  -  WINTER PACK  - DYNAUDIO  -  VIENNA LEATHER  - PARKING SENSORS  - BLUETOOTH

Offline Pioneer Performance

• Not said much yet
Does this "chain slap" only happen on cold starts ? or if its failing is it every time you start the car ?

Offline weejockvw

• Not said much yet
Only on cold startup it sounds like a bad tappet rattle for a few seconds

Offline Pioneer Performance

• Not said much yet
Only on cold startup it sounds like a bad tappet rattle for a few seconds

Thanks ! Definitely getting mine replaced for peace of mind !

Offline Bobbydazzlerr

• Not said much yet
Would it make a rattle every morning you start the car if it was on its way out?
Full blueflame 3inch turbo back system sports cat, pipercross panel filter, revo stage 2 remap 290 bhp 350 lbft, neuspeed short shift, heko wind deflectors, forge blow off valve.

Offline Bobbydazzlerr

• Not said much yet
Going to get mine done does anyone no yhe cheapest place to get the bits? Tensioner etc? Also if its a wood rough key?
Full blueflame 3inch turbo back system sports cat, pipercross panel filter, revo stage 2 remap 290 bhp 350 lbft, neuspeed short shift, heko wind deflectors, forge blow off valve.