Author Topic: Wlan in 7.5 Golfs  (Read 3545 times)

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Wlan in 7.5 Golfs
« Reply #10 on: 28 October 2020, 11:36 »
Cannot recall where I read it. Apparently it is being worked on by VAG software boffins, so it may come in a software update. But for now it's not available  :sad:
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #11 on: 28 October 2020, 11:39 »
I've just read BMW have AA/ACP both on the dash display and the HUD.... with the latest Idrive update.

I guess they are rather more serious than VW (to date) about the operating system in their cars though.

VW claim that the Mk8 does OTA updates, so maybe.... I wouldn't say its anything like definite though, they have sucked in the software space so far.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 28 October 2020, 13:25 »
Well I've said it many times before, as good as apple maps and Waze are (and they are very good), as Guzzle says, I tend to use the VW Nav and Car-Net mainly because I can use the live traffic updates (that shade in the road green, amber or red) based upon traffic levels or incidents, and enables you to use it in the instrument cluster as well. I've found it to be very accurate and quick (as quick and accurate as Apple maps etc).

My phone runs an app which executes a small macro when connecting to the car Bluetooth, so for me it's all totally automatic and it connects every time in around 20-25 seconds from start. Very convenient.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline kevinm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 28 October 2020, 16:02 »
VW are well behind the curve. My July 2016 build 430d has wireless CarPlay. But tbh, I don't use CarPlay at all. I find the BMW system integrates better with the HUD etc...
Current: His: 2020 M340i   Hers: 2019 GTD

Previous:
2014 GTI PP DSG
GTI ED30 DSG

Offline mistac

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 28 October 2020, 17:17 »
and this is my set up to achieve the same thing  - If I am honest I rarely use it but its there if need be

« Last Edit: 28 October 2020, 17:18 by mistac »
GTI 7.5 Performance 5dr DSG Tornado Red - completely standard spec as - it comes out of the tin as they say

Offline solano

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 28 October 2020, 18:45 »
Thanks everyone. So in short, in my market (and in Germany, as far as i know), when you get a Golf with Nav, you also get a USB stick called "CarStick" that goes into the USB slot behind the gear shifter. It has a SIM card in it (in my market, 10GB internet a month for 3 years), so you can even create a WiFi in the car (via the WLAN menu of the car) so your mobile devices can use those 10GB of internet.

However, Golfs have only one USB port, unless you have specified the "wireless charging" option, that adds a wireless charging capabilities of the cubby behind the gear shifter. Then, you get a 2nd USB port somewhere (i think under the arm rest). So, if you do not have that option, as many do not it seems, it is impossible to both use the CarStick for the internet AND AndroidAuto/CarPlay.

So, I was wondering, if UK cars have internet without any additional sticks and whatnot, then I thought it would be possible to get the SIM card from the CarStick device and put it in the car somewhere to use the internet. But i guess this is not the case.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 28 October 2020, 19:21 »
Do like the guy above did, stick a USB charger in the 12v socket in the boot and plug your WiFi stick into it... Or do the same in the 12v socket in the front. The WiFi stick thing only needs USB for power, its not using it for data.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 29 October 2020, 07:56 »
Looking for help people. I've got a Samsung S7 and can I hell get it to connect to the car so the Discover Nav uses my data. It connects and pairs for Bluetooth for phone and music etc but it just won't connect for a data connection. Anyone got a full run through of instructions? I have done this years ago on my 2013 Gtd but that was on an S4. It's probably something really simple that I've missed.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 29 October 2020, 09:05 »
Looking for help people. I've got a Samsung S7 and can I hell get it to connect to the car so the Discover Nav uses my data. It connects and pairs for Bluetooth for phone and music etc but it just won't connect for a data connection. Anyone got a full run through of instructions? I have done this years ago on my 2013 Gtd but that was on an S4. It's probably something really simple that I've missed.

You need to turn on the wifi hotspot on your phone...go into settings/wifi/mobile hotspot and tethering....

Then on the car its in settings WLAN I think.... let it search, look for the name of the hotspot you setup on the phone and enter the password.

Try that first, then you can get clever with MacroDroid and make it turn on and off everytime you get in and out of the car (to save battery!)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 29 October 2020, 09:58 »
Can't seem to get it to connect at all. Keeps saying the password isn't right when I enter it.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.