Author Topic: Wlan in 7.5 Golfs  (Read 3573 times)

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Wlan in 7.5 Golfs
« Reply #30 on: 30 October 2020, 10:52 »
Might not be much help, but for what it's worth I have an S7 on Oreo and it works fine for me. Or at least it did last time I used it. So I don't think the issue is phone compatibility, unless VW changed something on later cars.

An S7 with Oreo is really quite old though. I said VW didn't keep up with a change in Android

mcmaddy has an S7, same as me??
7.5 GTD

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #31 on: 30 October 2020, 10:52 »
Might not be much help, but for what it's worth I have an S7 on Oreo and it works fine for me. Or at least it did last time I used it. So I don't think the issue is phone compatibility, unless VW changed something on later cars.

An S7 with Oreo is really quite old though. I said VW didn't keep up with a change in Android
My S7 is the same, might try and find someone with a newer phone and see if that works. My S4 way back when used to work on my 2013 Gtd  :grin:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline DaveA

• Not said much yet
« Reply #32 on: 30 October 2020, 12:58 »
Genuine question. Does anyone really used these WLAN and WeConnect features? I’ve never managed to get mine fully set up, so gave up trying and now just use Android Auto based services instead. Am I missing anything?

I find the live traffic updates are a useful addition to the navigation and, although not infallible, more up to date that the limited TMS traffic data (coming from BMW's where live traffic was included) ... I also found that the option to search petrol stations nearby with prices very useful when on motorways in parts of the country I do not know... saving significant amounts over using service station just a few miles from junctions...

The rest of it is "nice to have" but not going to be missed too much if you don't have it... As the subscription is free on new cars for a certain period then it's just a decision on renewal of cost/benefit...

ps - my car has the SOS sim but the WeConnect relies upon my own data service... I can do this by hot-spotting my iPhone, but I actually have a permanent solution with a 4G wifi dongle plugged into the 12v socket in the boot that has a free data sim in it...
« Last Edit: 30 October 2020, 13:04 by DaveA »

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 30 October 2020, 13:12 »
Have you made sure you are connecting over 2.4ghz wifi on your phone only Chris, as it won't work with 5ghz. If you go to mobile hotspot on the phone, then under "Band", make sure it's set to 2.4ghz (if it's set to 5ghz, it won't connect to the car as the VW only connects over 2.4ghz).
« Last Edit: 30 October 2020, 14:29 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 30 October 2020, 16:44 »
Just checked that Andrew and it's already set to 2.4 👍

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #35 on: 30 October 2020, 16:46 »
Have you got another phone or device you can try connecting to your hotspot?

Just checking to see if it works at all...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #36 on: 30 October 2020, 16:52 »
I'll try my daughter's iPhone and see if that works.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #37 on: 31 October 2020, 17:04 »
So, my daughter's iPhone connected within about 5 seconds and the data connection worked perfectly. Tried immediately after with my S7 and won't connect. My phone must have some settings that are wrong or isn't capable of sharing. Keeps showing error message of "incorrect network key. Please enter a network key under WLAN settings". Strange how my S4 worked years ago.
« Last Edit: 31 October 2020, 17:24 by mcmaddy »

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #38 on: 31 October 2020, 17:44 »
Fixed, woohoo. I had to turn off the allowed devices option. Was able to connect and then changed the name of connection. Went back in and added connection to allowed list and bingo it now connects automatically without a password. What a faff on. Many thanks to all for help and assistance as ever 👍