Author Topic: Cracked sunroof surround  (Read 54174 times)

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
Re: Cracked sunroof surround
« Reply #10 on: 28 February 2020, 07:12 »
With evidence of multiple, identical failures, you shouldn’t have any problem with yours Watts. Feel for you, though. It takes the shine off, doesn’t it?
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 28 February 2020, 08:50 »
With evidence of multiple, identical failures, you shouldn’t have any problem with yours Watts. Feel for you, though. It takes the shine off, doesn’t it?

Cheers :smiley:. Going to see the dealers this morning, only had the car 17 days and I was really enjoying it. Hopefully all will be sorted without any bother.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 28 February 2020, 08:52 »
That's not good but I imagine on a 2019 car there will be no issues with getting this sorted under warranty. Just a pain in the ass having to go back to the dealer.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Andy198

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 28 February 2020, 09:40 »
I’m sorry to see that Watts, but can’t imagine any scenario where a Dealer will argue the toss. Good luck and I’ll keep an eye on mine - I’ll blame the Mrs as she wanted the pan roof; I wanted Dynaudio.  :whistle:
GTI PP Mk7.5 with DCC, Sunroof, Brescias / BBS SR & 90% Tints

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 28 February 2020, 09:43 »
Cheers Jim, Andy, encouraging words :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
2019 (68) GTI PERFORMANCE DSG - new baby
2016 (66) GOLF R DSG - gone but definitely not forgotten

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 28 February 2020, 11:41 »
Oh bugger. Sorry to this buddy. As others have said I’m sure you’ll have no issues at all getting it sorted tbf. I’ll have to keep an eye on mine me thinks.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 28 February 2020, 12:45 »
Thanks again to all for your helpful messages, much appreciated :smiley:

Just got back from the dealer and they were very helpful. They will need the car for two or three days, date to be arranged. It is in the back of my mind whether this might occur again and that I might be better off jumping ship but I really like the car. Just have to put it behind me and keep my fingers crossed...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 28 February 2020, 15:17 »
Thanks again to all for your helpful messages, much appreciated :smiley:

Just got back from the dealer and they were very helpful. They will need the car for two or three days, date to be arranged. It is in the back of my mind whether this might occur again and that I might be better off jumping ship but I really like the car. Just have to put it behind me and keep my fingers crossed...

Maybe have a look at their used Golfs and see if any with a sunroof have the same issue. It's one thing getting it fixed, but if it keeps recurring, that'll be highly annoying even if VW keep sanctioning remedial work under warranty.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 28 February 2020, 16:55 »
Like with anything that moves or is under stresses there needs to be an element of tolerance, even minute, and imagine the design of these sunroof surrounds have a marginal, even micro failing in that tolerance, but as its only some and not all, maybe bad batch? inconsistent creation?

Do your journeys involve a fair amount of twisting roads? reason ask is you imagine sideways movement would create additional twisting force to this surround if oversized?

Not having really looked at one, is this just a cover/surround or is it integrated into the structure of the sunroof?

Its ok for them to replace, I would be happy to have that done and move on, but be nice to know a why also?
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC