Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 530589 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #1770 on: 04 June 2018, 17:37 »
Having washed the car a couple of weeks ago its been sat in the garage due to much outside gardening type work being done  :undecided: ....anyway all work and no play  :tongue:....quick detail spray before taking out up North Yorks Moors way

Looks great. Always had a soft spot for a Carbon Grey Golf. Not usually a fan of black wheels, but they look good clean and shiny on a Carbon Grey Clubsport.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #1771 on: 04 June 2018, 17:46 »
Gave the Polo GTI pocket rocket a much needed wash today, after a 300 mile round trip to Heathrow airport and back yesterday. The front did a great job of catching bugs and flies so they needed to be removed.

Sorry, no pictures :sad:, but I forgot to take any ‘befores’ and I’ve posted quite a few ‘afters’ in the past, so you know what it looks like when it’s clean.

Off topic, but connected to yesterday’s trip. I was quite surprised at the fuel consumption for the journey which was pretty much all dual carriageway and motorway driving; 45.9 mpg according to the car’s fuel computer! Really pleased and impressed with that :smiley:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1772 on: 05 June 2018, 18:23 »
Got a few more treats in the post today :smiley:

Thanks to Booth's recommendation I thought I'd try a Dodo Juice Fantastic Fur buffing cloth and a couple of Auto Finesse Waxmates (for sealant and wax application). I normally use foam pads but that seems a bit wasteful as I usually end up throwing them away and these should give a more even spread. Plus I needed some QD and thought I'd try the FinishKare one. Seems good value as the container was a lot bigger than I had realised, hope it's good! Now all I have to do is clean the bl@@dy car :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1773 on: 11 June 2018, 14:48 »
Gave it a wash today and tried out a few of my new goodies. The Gtechniq W4 Citrus Snowfoam seemed a bit thin to me and was happy to run off the car, I may try a higher product to water ratio next time, the instructions just said an inch of product and fill the container with water. But they don't know the capacity or shape of the container so surely giving a ratio would be better? Anyway, it did seem to do okay at clearing some muck and without 5 minutes dwelling time since it was hot today and I didn't want it drying on the car. The next new to me item was the FinishKare QD as in the picture above. Buffed off really easily and left a great glossy finish, very impressed with that. Wasn't quite as effective as Bouncers Done and Dusted with some water marks but for about the same price and nearly double the quantity of product, excellent value. I'll see how it fares on my next few uses but I may just stick with this one! Then the final new goodie was the Fantastic Fur cloth also pictured above. I initially buffed off the QD with a regular mf then gave it a final go with the fantastic fur, very pleased, it removed any areas that weren't properly finished off by the other mf and added an extra depth to the glossy finish. Well worth buying :smiley:

Sorry, the usual angles, it is very tight out the front of my house. I must get myself a good lottery win and indulge in a nice new big house!

2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Jeff Wood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1774 on: 11 June 2018, 15:15 »
Every time I read posts on this thread it costs me money :( just ordered some finishkare qd. I'll take a look at that fur cloth now..
2018 Golf GTI. 3 Door. DSG. Tornado Red.
Eibach Pro Kit. OZ Hyper GT HLT Wheels. (18x8, ET50).
Forge 11mm spacers on rear wheels. 5mm on fronts.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1775 on: 11 June 2018, 15:43 »
Every time I read posts on this thread it costs me money :( just ordered some finishkare qd. I'll take a look at that fur cloth now..

I find it difficult to resist too, but all the stuff I've bought has been good and no waste. Hope you like the QD, I think it is a real bargain!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline ne0star

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1776 on: 11 June 2018, 15:56 »
After seeing the photos on here I'm beginning to wonder if I'm applying product to my car correctly.  a couple of weeks ago I washed my car thoroughly and applied a coat of Bilt Hamber Double Speed-Wax.  It was very easy to apply, but I found it incredibly difficult to buff to a shine even using my new swissvax cloth (which is amazing).  I couldn't seem to get shot of this bloom affect. 

Then last week a seagull Kindly dumped a huge load on the roof.  I removed it same evening following tips on here to dampen a sponge and leave it to soften it then rinse off.  The weather wasn't brilliant, and I didn't have time to wash the whole car so I didn't dry the roof in case of scratching.  This then left me with some major water marking which looked like it had etched itself into the coat of wax I had applied previously.  When I cleaned the car on Saturday I literally had to clay bar the entire roof to remove the water marks and re-apply the wax.  I thought the wax would help prevent water marking not make it worse which makes me think I'm doing something wrong.  Should I be applying something else after the wax?
2018 Golf GTI DSG in Deep Pearl Black

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1777 on: 11 June 2018, 17:47 »
Hi ne0star, on the first point you may have just applied too much wax. A very thin spread and check how long it should be left before buffing, maybe you are going in too soon. With the dreaded bird poo, if you are having to remove them at work how about taking a bottle of deionised water with you in the boot? That should help. Otherwise I can only suggest to cover the car! Black is a very unforgiving colour and sounds hard to maintain so don't knock yourself!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1778 on: 11 June 2018, 17:51 »
Looking fab Watts  :cool:  glad you like the DJ Fantastic Fur cloth. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1779 on: 11 June 2018, 17:55 »
After seeing the photos on here I'm beginning to wonder if I'm applying product to my car correctly.  a couple of weeks ago I washed my car thoroughly and applied a coat of Bilt Hamber Double Speed-Wax.  It was very easy to apply, but I found it incredibly difficult to buff to a shine even using my new swissvax cloth (which is amazing).  I couldn't seem to get shot of this bloom affect. 

Then last week a seagull Kindly dumped a huge load on the roof.  I removed it same evening following tips on here to dampen a sponge and leave it to soften it then rinse off.  The weather wasn't brilliant, and I didn't have time to wash the whole car so I didn't dry the roof in case of scratching.  This then left me with some major water marking which looked like it had etched itself into the coat of wax I had applied previously.  When I cleaned the car on Saturday I literally had to clay bar the entire roof to remove the water marks and re-apply the wax.  I thought the wax would help prevent water marking not make it worse which makes me think I'm doing something wrong.  Should I be applying something else after the wax?

You’re using too much wax by the sounds of it.  You only need the thinnest even  layer.  And most likely you’re leaving it to haze too long.  Do a test section, and when you run a fingertip through the wax, your fingertip should just ‘catch’ in the wax, this indicates it’s time to buff it off.  Hazing time depends on temperature and humidity but start with 5 mins and then fingertip test, and then try 10 mins and so on so you’ll know what’s the right hazing time for your wax for the time of year you’re using it. 

Wax will not prevent water marking. Lime cuts through wax and a lot of sealants, as does bird poo lime. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11