Author Topic: My rides, soon to become ride!  (Read 8347 times)

Offline HamiltonGL

• Not said much yet
My rides, soon to become ride!
« on: 27 July 2012, 11:07 »
Hi all,

This is my first attempt at anything like this but I'm optimistically confident I can get the project done. I own a 1985 Mk2 1.6 GL(Below) which i picked up last year with low milage for its year (87K), almost mint condition interior throughout and only faults bar a few small dings were, bonnet had a small warp, both front arches had rot where the splitter joins and two small patches of surace rust. Overall for its year it was very clean!

Anyway I got to work on it with a few touches including by spending 6 months searching for a new OEM chrome 7 slat grill, which cost me a small fortune when i did find it. Its pretty much as i got it with th addition of upgraded Infinity speakers all round, GTi Teardrops, Lamin-X tint for the headlights, replacement bonnet and a bra.

Few shots of the Mk2

With new bonnet, light tints and grill

As it stands recently with the Teardrops. Bit dirty but after 6 weeks of constant rain, I wasnt wasting my time trying to deep clean her.

I was aiming for a show(ish) ready car this year but just had a little girl so things have basically been put back by 9 months or so. My first plans were to source two new early OEM wings(still searching and hoping i dont have to do the repro thing) and a bonnet and get them sprayed up to complete the front end for now but due to baby it was put on hold.

Now baby is here and in health, I am getting back into the car again. I have been in a pickle as to go on with my body wrok plans or to do a conversion of sorts to replace the sluggish 1.6 engine which just wasnt powerful enough for me.

Originally, I was going to go with a 16V K-jet conversion but did a bit or research into others too and decided I was going to go VR6. Bodywork plans for now have been halted as I was fortunate to source a good spec with good history and reciepts Mk3 VR6 Highline that was going to be broken due to chassis rot and a collapsed sill, for a decent price. Actually a shame to be breaking it as other than the chassis rot and several scrapes and dings, its a fantastic car to drive but the money to rectify would be more than its costing to do the whole project... Thus far! 

Quick spec list of the top of my head:

Piper Cams
Port/polish Throttle body
TSR 6-2-1 Racing Manifold with Jetex decat stainless system
Sachs Performance Clutch
Superchips Chip (not fitted)
Koni Coilovers
Eibach ARB's front and back

Sure ive missed a few things but will add when I get a chance.

My basic plans are Full widetrack conversion with front and rear setups, all rebuilt and painted with full polybushes throughout and the engine obviously with a partial engine rebuild, test, service and few extra little mods. Smooth bay is a possibile option too but i might just go down the uber clean original bay route, still undecided.

This is the donor car in question with the Mk2 and has a few little bits that need doing but as the car is being stripped down and all parts removed will be getting a rebuild, I wasnt too concerned.

I'm getting very close to strarting the whole build project now, just awaiting on a few more parts and making some final decisions on which route to go with a couple of areas. Main issues im facing which are undecided yet are cable/hydro clutch and the interior wiring given mine is an 85' model. Once I decide the avenues to go down, I will then be cracking on with it.

The VR6 is being broken for spares so please check the For Sale section soon for what will be available. It will pretty much be everything except:

Engine/Gearbox/Ancillaries
Rear Axle setup and brakes
Whole front axle, suspension, brakes and subframe setup
Looms/ECU
Clocks/stalks (maybe)

Other than that, pretty much everything is available. I'll throw a for sale post up ASAP with more details.

Anyway, here are a couple of shots of both now in waiting for the build to get underway as soon as we can get space at my mates garage, there is a poxy R33 Skyline GT import with blown turbo stuck where i will be doing the work. Useless japenese sh!te!   

I will stop boring you with stuff you've probably read a hundred times and will endeavour to keep this thread up to date with as much info as possible as im going to be building a build portfolio alongside to keep with the final car should i decide to part with it in the future.

Look forward to getting involved with you and hassling a few of you with questions once i get properly underway! 
It says location up there ↖

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: My rides, soon to become ride!
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2012, 11:17 »
Lookin forward to updates on this.

Offline HamiltonGL

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2012, 11:25 »
Im looking forward to updating on it. Itching to get started but waiting on a few bits and clear space at the garage. My knuckles are screaming out to be scraped!  :nerd:

Offline VR6_Wherry

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 27 July 2012, 11:49 »
The mk3 looks proper clean? Tell me it's fcuked so you can smash it up? Highline as well! :sad: :grin:

Offline HamiltonGL

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 27 July 2012, 14:02 »
Chassis is rotten along both sills and crushed where a jack went through it. Needs a lot of welding and a full respray due to rust and ding marks dents etc etc.

Shame to break it as it is excellent to drive due to the setup it has but I'm looking forward to my Mk2 driving that good.

Offline Junior74

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 27 July 2012, 20:01 »
Wicked mate!!!!

Offline FrankyGalactus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 28 July 2012, 02:55 »
Loving the chrome bumpers and grill.
VR6 rumble is going to suit it nicely.

Offline HamiltonGL

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 28 July 2012, 12:47 »
Loving the chrome bumpers and grill.
VR6 rumble is going to suit it nicely.

Cheers fella.

Yeah I've never really been one for chrome but on this model and year, It suits it really well i think. The VR6 rumble i sinbound for sure :)

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #8 on: 28 July 2012, 12:54 »
vr6 in that will be sweeet :cool:

fair play on the bonnet bra and yellow lights - even i couldnt continue with mine fitted, and I am a yellow light connoisseur  :laugh:

Offline HamiltonGL

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 02 August 2012, 18:06 »
Quick update on this. Ive started stripping the VR down. Have now got 95% of the interior parts out the way. Spent two days doing it which wasnt planned. One day was basically figuring out the Clifford alarm and immobilisers and removing them yet being able to drive the car still. Was a ballache to begin but I got there in the end. Didnt help that the car has had 2 other alarms previous to the Clifford setup and the wiring was a nightmare. can now sit on a bucket/box or similar when i need to take the car to have engine removed.

Few Pics:

Seats and cards etc are out too but rain got the better of me and couldnt get any pics as had to get the car back in the garage quick time!

Also picked up some Audi Pepperpots from a very nice girl through eBay. Went for these as I think once sprayed up to match my Mk2 they will look good and being 15", still allow me to roll fairly low on the widetrack conversion.

Put them on the Mk3 for now until i remove all the running gear etc as the other wheels are being sold.

Dont look half bad on it either!

Thats about it at the moment. Got a family wedding this weekend so wont be doing much else yet. Cant wait to get the engine out next week and then get on with the Mk2.  :cool:

« Last Edit: 02 August 2012, 18:13 by HamiltonGL »