Author Topic: Wiring Problem  (Read 1431 times)

Offline Retrocool

• Not said much yet
Wiring Problem
« on: 29 May 2007, 21:35 »
Hi all,

For some unknown reason my rear speakers aren't connected into the headunit connector (apologies for lack of terminology) that plugs into my headunit.  Does any one know if there is a way i can connect them in, or should i just cut out another connector that does have them connected from another car and splice the wires across...??

Thanks

Offline black ryder

• Not said much yet
Re: Wiring Problem
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2007, 21:02 »
hi m8 is this a standard headunit or non standard unit ??? and is it the iso connector thats 1 plug for the power leads and 1 plug for the speakers ??

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2007, 12:37 »
if you could post pictures it would be a real help. what car is it?

Offline Retrocool

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 14 June 2007, 13:59 »
hi guys, sorry for the late reply, i forgot to hit the notify of reply button when i posted it!! :rolleyes:

Its the standard iso connector from my mk2 golf that plugs into the non standard kenwood headunit. the connector is all there and the wires are they just aren't hooked up for some unknown reason...! I'll try and take some photos tonight and post them up...

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 15 June 2007, 17:21 »
there must be a reason they are not working, have they ever worked?!

another connector will probably not solve the problem. where are the rear speakers (rear quarter panel or parcel shelf holder bits.)? if you can see the back of them check the wire colours and check they are still there when it gets to the headunit. ( they probably will be! )

if you have the book for the HU or maybe even on the metal top part of the HU it will have the colours of the rear speaker wires wrote somewhere ( if you cant find the colours listed fade the HU to the rear and try all the matching colours, there will be like one purple and one purple with white stripe, that would be one pair and so on ). temporarly stick some speaker cable in the correct holes at the HU end and touch the other ends on the terminals of a speaker, doesnt need to be the correct speaker, just to check the signal is coming from the HU.#

« Last Edit: 15 June 2007, 17:25 by tommk3cab »

Offline Retrocool

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 16 June 2007, 17:48 »
Right here are some pictures which i hoe will clarify the problem.  Basically the speakers are fine and the headunit is fine.  The problem lies with speaker wires connecting into the standard vw connector in the car...
Here are the rear speaker wires...

Here is the connector that they should be connected in to...

The connector only has 4 metal clip connectors on it when it should have 8 (+ve and -ve for each speaker)

So can i buy these metal slips and fit them to the connector or should i splice another connector in, in place of this one..

Thanks for the help

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 16 June 2007, 21:37 »
aha, now i get you! thats strange, have you got a headunit ready to go in? you could attach in a new block but personally I would just bullet clip or somehow connect the rear speaker wires direct to the headunit rear output wires of the aftermarket block, not the one in your pic, the one that it plugs into.

I only say this because I hate cutting the standard looms apart unless its absolutly vital.
and unless you get the connector block out of a golf of the same age ( although i think some did have 4 speakers but not too sure) you may have problems using your modded block into the aftermarket HU ( not standard golf HU) block, the wiring intputs may be in different places if that makes sense. they probably wont be  ( especially if it came off a golf of the same age but with 4 speakers instead.),but like i said  i would just cut the aftermarket block rear wires and attach direct. less work as well to be honest! and thats probably what has been done in the past i would have thought.

but it is entirely up to you.

hope all that makes sense.