Author Topic: Wiring Up Head Unit Help  (Read 4290 times)

Offline Slim

• Not said much yet
Wiring Up Head Unit Help
« on: 04 January 2004, 18:13 »
Not too sure what I'm doing here, don't want to risk blowing sh*t up. Got all the amp, etc wired up, but the wiring on the car don't match (I think) the wiring on the head unit. The car has a black wire (taped to the aerial wire), a brown wire, a red wire and a blue/grey wire as well as the remote wire from the amp which is blue.

The head unit has labelled wires, and I've got a blue/white one (remote turn-on lead), a red one (switched power ignition lead), a black one (ground lead), a blue one (power antenna lead) and a yellow one (battery lead).

I'm guessing the blue amp wire connects to the blue/white remote turn-on lead.

I'm guessing both red leads connect to each other, but the red lead has a wire coming from the head unit and a wire coming from the black connector thing (ISO connector? The black thing that's supposed to connect to the socket behind the dash, holds most of the non-speaker wires) and both wires meet and go into one end of a bullet connector. Do I attach the car's red wire to the wire in the black connector socket or the bullet connector where both wires meet?

I'd have thought both black wires would connect to each other, but someone has told me the brown wire coming from the car is the earth which has confused me a bit as I assumed this would be the battery wire to connect to the yellow one from the head unit.

And that leaves the blue/grey wire which I would assume connects to the blue power antenna lead by process of elimination.

Am I on the right tracks? Any advice is appreciated, cheers.

Blue MK2

Re:Wiring Up Head Unit Help
« Reply #1 on: 04 January 2004, 18:21 »
blue/white wire to the remote on the amp

red and yellow connected together (head unit), using the bullet thingys)
I then connected the cars red (+) wire to these above.

Black is the ground (-)

Check that the black wire taped to the ariel has a connector that goes into the ariel socket in the head unit.

U with me coz im confused now  :P

How old is your car?
« Last Edit: 04 January 2004, 18:24 by Blue MK2 »

Offline Slim

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 04 January 2004, 18:46 »
It's an 87 GTi 16v, just got it on Friday.

I've taken some pictures to help out, sorry if they're on the big side.

http://mysite.freeserve.com/GavWorld2/wiring1.JPG
http://mysite.freeserve.com/GavWorld2/wiring2.JPG
http://mysite.freeserve.com/GavWorld2/wiring3.JPG

Blue MK2

« Reply #3 on: 04 January 2004, 19:08 »
leave the brown out for a minute. connect the black to the black and red to the red.

easy way to check is to get a bulb and test the wiring with that ;)

Offline iceinside

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 04 January 2004, 19:23 »
mr slim, by the sounds of it you've got some help, if its on a mk2 golf  the thin black wire on the aerial lead is often used as a seperate earth for the aerial, for signal purposes, the red(s) will be live and the brown earth, the easiest way to prove this is with a test screwdriver, noirmally a few quid but you'll save your headunit if you get it wrong, or if you don't have one a bulb, put it across the wires and if it lights one is an earth and the other is live, use the one you think is live and put it to the bulb,then put the other bulb wire to a known earth ie:door stay screw/fag lighter terminal.........looks like i was beat to it with the bulb trick
« Last Edit: 04 January 2004, 19:24 by iceinside »

Offline Slim

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 04 January 2004, 19:41 »
Cheers peeps, I'm pretty much a complete newbie to the world of wiring, I think I've got an idea.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 04 January 2004, 19:48 »
hey slim, if this was a challenge with pvw forum, looks like here won :)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Slim

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 04 January 2004, 19:51 »
It sure did, and with the added bonus that this site ain't as slow as a Nova 1.2.  :D

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 04 January 2004, 19:52 »
he he, most of the time  8)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Blue MK2

« Reply #9 on: 05 January 2004, 19:34 »
Slim,
what are those switches for.... They are under the rear heater and fog light switches? ???