Author Topic: Yellow Top  (Read 1797 times)

Offline M41K1T

• GTI forum regular
Yellow Top
« on: 16 October 2004, 13:14 »
Hi guys
I just bought a yellow top optima battery but have no idea on how to install it!! Any1 know where i can get a wiring diagram from???

cheers

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
Re: Yellow Top
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2004, 17:20 »
just swap it for the one you have in there already or do you mean split charging for running 2 batteries?
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline M41K1T

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 22 October 2004, 09:03 »
yeah split charge system

Offline lints

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 28 October 2004, 11:08 »
this is how mines wired and i've had no problems at all;

front battery-----front fuse (within 12" of batt - i used 150amp but you'd get away with less)--------------------4awg power cable-------------spitcharge relay---------------rear fuse (again within 12"-----rear battery.

obviously you've to earth the rear battery.

split charge relays are made by autoleads and should cost around 25-30quid (think even halfords do them)

the relay has 4 connections on it, two large screw down connections which the power cable from the front battery and rear battery connect to, and two smaller blade type connections -ones your earth and the other is the remote as such to 'connect' the two batteries together.

i wired the remote connection to the live from my electric windows. this way when i put the key in the headunit works and the system (apart from the hu) is running from just the rear battery - technically you could cane it until it ran out of juice and still be able to start up and dirve away. ?then when i turn the key one click forward so the warning lights come on the windows also become active thus the charge relay is activated and the front and rear batteries are linked. playing without the engine running and the key at one click would eventually drain both batteries though. and obviously when you turn the key to start the engine both batteries are linked and subsiquently both will charge. ?as a rule of thumb with this system if the windows work the batteries are linked - if not their not ?:)

hope that helps - theres a pic of my battery and relay and rear fuse in the post on making pods - you can see the realy dangling off the rear light cluster

hope this helps
« Last Edit: 28 October 2004, 11:10 by lints »

Offline JMallows

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 30 October 2004, 18:45 »
Where do you want the battery? In the boot, or in the front?

I have mine in the boot, and i use the 12V feed for the boot light, and igniton 12V from the rear wiper.

You can get the split charge kits for much less than that! Mine was less than ?15, from a caravan shop.... Yu could check out towsure, but not sure on their prices

Friend had one fitted for less than ?20

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.

Offline lints

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 01 November 2004, 12:17 »
thats one cheap relay  :)  is it rated at 200amps like the autoleads relay though?

Offline JMallows

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 06 November 2004, 00:47 »
Dont know, but its fine for charging a leisure battery. In fact, actually, it wasn't a leisure battery, it was a car battery.

Would be fine for most peoples needs, if not all..?

Offline JMallows

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 07 November 2004, 13:57 »
Look towards the bottom of the page HERE: Split relay....