Author Topic: Best stuff to get rid of Coke build up from EGR?  (Read 4327 times)

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
Best stuff to get rid of Coke build up from EGR?
« on: 07 October 2012, 09:22 »
Well passed my MOT on a BKD 2.0 TDI and he noticed emmissions were a tad high said EGR could be tad blocked up.
I've had the seals ready to take the EGR off and do the clean up my MOT chap said leave over night in petrol to clean it some say brake cleaner even Redex or oven cleaner?
I'm not worried about metalic parts but there looks like a diaphram from one of the vacum parts so not sure if there is any rubber seals in the EGR or its a simple metal mechanical device?

Some have said no point in cleaning it, should be replaced its only done 60K?
Funny thing the MOT chap was surprised the EGR had not been replaced before as if he was not a fan off them LOL!  :rolleyes:

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
Re: Best stuff to get rid of Coke build up from EGR?
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2012, 13:08 »
It get's hot exhaust gas blasted through it, a bit of a soaking in an chemical cleaner will not kill it off immediately. Ultimately it will need to replacing, but just make sure it is rinsed and dried properly and it'll be fine.

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 10 October 2012, 11:03 »
Thanks Slick!
I've managed to get it off and I'll post pictures once the camera has charged.
Its not as bad as I thought for 63k, but there is defo coke build up so I'm going to use brake cleaner on it and scrape most of the carbon off first.
That rear bolt was easy to remove I found the one near the alloy intake pipe worse speaking of the metal alloy pipe I've undone the four bolts and it not moving much looks like to remove it completely, it means taking off the water pipes on the side of the block and other ancillaries to get it freed up??

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 10 October 2012, 14:36 »
Couldnt be bothered to undo the outake pipe too much work with rain expecting, need the daily so just cleaned it up and here are the results haven't bolted it back yet letting things dry out and settle.
Used brake cleaner and a screw driver mainly loads of rags and tissues but not bad result I think hope it works when back on the car  :undecided:

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #4 on: 10 October 2012, 16:27 »
Could always whip a connector hose off and give it a quick squirt of penetrant spray of WD to give the shaft a bit of life, otherwise, that should look like that for at least ooo 10-20 miles. :lipsrsealed: :laugh:

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 10 October 2012, 16:52 »
Haaa yeah I know mate it will get coked up again its not bad for 63K though some do this at 100K and they looked real clogged up.
I just bolted it in and I did spray some plus gas onto the flap and shaft to lube it up a bit. TBF it wasnt that baked on cleaned the outake end best I could, and even wiped off some coke off the inner manifold looks like that needs to come off aswell and soaked for a few hours?
Only gasket I changed was the one to manifold the rest still looked new so didnt bother.
The car is now 6 years old and just went for a test drive feels like its power is back from 3 years ago!
I'm a firm beliver that if it is a diesel, the EGR should be cleaned around the 60K mark with cam belt.

I like the fact the EGR is right in front of the grill so it never gets too hot and gets baked on, other BKD's are usually further back in the engine bay?