Author Topic: GTI (manual) on it's way  (Read 1904 times)

Offline DoomedHippie

• Not said much yet
GTI (manual) on it's way
« on: 22 April 2021, 09:28 »
Morning all,

I've been lurking and reading for a while now, so thought I'd join up and introduce myself and get involved - could be a good source of info as it looks like I'm going to be the only owner of a manual Mk 8 on here!

Spec I've gone for:

Pure White
Manual
DCC
Harmon Kardon
19" Adelaides

This was ordered in November and apparently is stuck at port exit with no dates known!

Sadly, no mod, as this is my new company car!

Look forward to chatting with you all.

Cheers,

Dan

Offline Don76

• Not said much yet
Re: GTI (manual) on it's way
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2021, 09:48 »
Welcome fella. Nice spec there.
Kudos to you for choosing a car like that as a company car.
The tax will be painful in comparison to many other stuff.

Look forward to the reviews on the manual

Offline DoomedHippie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2021, 10:04 »
Thanks. Yeah, tax...... It's not going to be substantially more than what I'm currently paying (currently have 2017 VW Passat GT, 2.0l Diesel (190hp) with a few adds) so think it's worth the little extra. You can't put a price on fun right?

I just thought this might be last chance to get a brand new 'hot hatch' before they're outlawed so just went for it!

the lack of worry about service and maintenance/tyres etc, should balance out over the long run.

Cant wait for it to arrive!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2021, 10:07 »
Nice!

Yes, I too thought "one last hurrah for petrol before the milk floats arrive and damn the cost"  :laugh:

I think manual might be an interesting choice, I sort of wish I'd stuck with manual, especially now I have my very first automatic I've ever owned....

Probably with all of the superb handling the Mk8 GTI has (and it is really VERY good) and a manual box you will totally love it.

Looking forward to hearing more about it when you get it.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline CarbonGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 22 April 2021, 10:46 »
Welcome DoomedHippie - I think your Mk 8 GTI might turn into a bit of a collector's item!  It will be really interesting to see in 18m time just how many (or should I say how few) 6sp manual Mk 8 GTI's there are in the UK.  I previously owned a 6spd manual Mk 7 GTI 230 and I now have a Mk 7.5 GTI PP 245.  The 7 spd DSG in the new car is fantastic at the things it does well, but really, really annoying at the things it does poorly.  If I can get over the horrible haptic steering wheel 'buttons' etc in the Mk8 GTI my next car will be a 245 GTI manual like yours (in fact it will be extremely similar spec) so I will be really interested to see what you make of the manual box, the clutch pedal feel, and even the gear lever itself (which looks like an odd shape itself).

Offline Kgti8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 22 April 2021, 13:55 »
I bought a manual and collected it last week, agreed they seem to be rare and have to be factory ordered.

I’m very happy with mine anyway, very engaging to drive. Have never driven an auto so can’t comment on a comparison.

The gearstick itself is very nice to hold I think, clutch was a bit springy or something compared to my MK7 but have got used to it.
2021 MK8 Manual | Oryx White, Estorils, DCC, Winter Pack, HK, Pan Roof, Rear Camera, Vienna Leather

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 22 April 2021, 14:09 »
to be fair "has to be factory ordered" covers about 99% of performance golfs. We are only seeing people with cars from dealer stock because of the launch.... from here on out very very few will ever be bought from a forecourt.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline theminty1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 23 April 2021, 11:26 »
This manual auto debate is good to see. Its just when you see the discussion between you(Fred) and Exonian this I am doing 65 and want to take it to 70 thing, and it changes gear.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 23 April 2021, 12:15 »
I keep saying it, I love technology and I hate doing work.... I have no deep petrolhead attachment to my god-like gear stick moving skills or feel like I am missing something by not having it.... no, I'd love it to do it all by itself.

But this is like telling your kids they can make dinner while you stand back and shout "you don't do it like that!" and "what are you doing!" as they pour gravy over the chicken before they put it in the oven....

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 24 April 2021, 10:17 »
Good to see there are still a few ordering manual gearboxes :afro:
I just hope the mk8 doesn’t suffer the horrid throttle dead spot like the mk7 manuals.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner