Author Topic: Where do people get private plates made - non standard spacing?  (Read 6012 times)

Offline naxcars

• Not said much yet
As subject
2014 Golf GTI Performance Pack: Nav & Rear Parking Camera, DTUK FRS+

Offline Bungleaio

• Here all the time
As in illegal spacing? We don't.
Abarth 595 Turismo + Classic Mini + Triumph Street Triple RS
Did have 3door DBP GTI PP

Offline CocoPops

• I live here
Www.fancyplates.com
2018 GTI Performance Pack DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, Leather, 18" Seville Wheels, DCC Suspension, Tints, RVC
2018 Lotus Elise Sport220
Previous : 1983 Mk1 Golf 1.1 & 2008 Mk5 Golf GTI Ed30

Offline davyk31

• I live here
eBay is your friend.
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Show use? 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline GTI_Ant

• GTI forum regular
Presumably it's not illegal to make these plates, but it will be illegal to display them.  The rules are available on the gov.uk website.  As ANPR is widespread now, good luck with not being pulled over regularly.
GTi Clubsport DCC winter pack rear camera
Previous:
7.5R 3dr DSG DPB Prets Dynaudio
MK7 GTI PP Tungsten Silver Manual Nav Dynaudio Winter Pack Park Assist

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
+1, not worth the risk. I believe if you keep getting caught with illegally spaced plates, the DVLA have the right to withdrawl the reg number (not the physical plate) if they like. You don't own the reg number, the DVLA do!
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline Little Lofty

• Not said much yet
Yeah not worth it now, I had one extra space on my plate ( X1 X MA instead of X1 XMA) and got a letter through the post warning me to change it or face a fine, I guess I was spotted by a roadside camera. Its not allowed as they argue they can't trace the owner if it mis spelt or mis spaced, funny how they found me though :)
Alfa Four Cheese

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
It's just another petty revenue gathering exercise...our ANPR system is modelled on the UK version and has no problem reading the variations which crop up. The main thing is the actual dimensions of the plate and the size of the lettering/numerals...if they fit into the grid and are the right colour, they are OK. As a matter of fact, many of our police cars are fitted with plates which feature displays which are different from my 'standard UK' one.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
It's just another petty revenue gathering exercise...our ANPR system is modelled on the UK version and has no problem reading the variations which crop up. The main thing is the actual dimensions of the plate and the size of the lettering/numerals...if they fit into the grid and are the right colour, they are OK. As a matter of fact, many of our police cars are fitted with plates which feature displays which are different from my 'standard UK' one.

Really? Love to see an example of a plod car with illegally spaced plates!
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)