Author Topic: Rotating Tyres  (Read 3178 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Rotating Tyres
« on: 15 January 2018, 15:42 »
Does anyone bother doing this any more. Front to rear etc. I've got 4mm on the front and 6mm on rear after 10k miles so if I leave them be I'll need the fronts doing at about 15k and the rears not until another two years. I'm debating if I should just leave the fronts to wear down and replace all 4 or rotate and get about 20k from the set. What have others done?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Online Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Rotating Tyres
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2018, 15:53 »
I did on my last set and will continue to do so. Just like to keep them even and replace all 4 at the same time so they are always the same. Doubt it makes much of a difference much of the time but perhaps on the odd occasion it might make that little but important difference. Plus it's a performance car and I want to be able to enjoy it when I want to so good tyres are important to me.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Gulfstream11

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2018, 16:04 »
I rotated front to rear last Autumn. Needed to borrow a scissor jack.

Previous rides..MKIV 1.8T   MKIV PD150  MK5 GTI MK5 edition30 now MK7 GTI PP

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2018, 17:21 »
Many recommend having the newest tyres on the rear, even on a front wheel drive car. I'd wait until you need new front tyres, then rotate, putting the new ones on the rear. This might be sooner than you think tho', as although the legal limit is 1.6mm, tyres are past their best at 3mm.

If you are planning to change the make or type of tyre, then rotate now so the all 4 need replacing together.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 15 January 2018, 18:07 »
I'll be going Michelins come change time so it's either leave everything and change all 4 no matter what the rears are or do front to back and get the most out of current tyres.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Online Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 15 January 2018, 18:20 »
I'll be going Michelins come change time so it's either leave everything and change all 4 no matter what the rears are or do front to back and get the most out of current tyres.

I did the latter and got 20k miles out of my Pirellis, pretty good especially taking into account the first 1500 were in the hands of the dealer as a demo....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline ed30James

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 15 January 2018, 19:28 »
I was struggling for traction after 10k miles on mine so swapped front to back and it improved immediately. I seem to have churned though tyres faster in my clubsport..... no idea why....
Edition 40 Number 664

Previously Edition 30 Number 2269

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 15 January 2018, 19:31 »
I rotated front to rear last Autumn. Needed to borrow a scissor jack.

Really, if you jack up the front does the rear not also lift?
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 15 January 2018, 23:09 »
Always rotate every 4K miles, evens the wear. And means best tread on front at all times.

Although, if weather holds intend doing it on the R in next day or two for first time. Will check tread depth and report back, the R is likely to have a more even wear factor. Always prefer to change the 4 in one hit, means you have a brand choice,no?
Fascinating stuff, not, scroll on. :whistle:
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #9 on: 15 January 2018, 23:13 »
It's funny really, lease companies are always out to save money and maximise profit on the contract. I've never had one want to rotate tyres. So I suggest that doing so won't save you money, but just give you something to do. I guess it's a hobby...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC