Author Topic: No Power  (Read 2035 times)

Offline RedHP

• I live here
No Power
« on: 18 July 2017, 22:34 »
Ok boys and girls. I've had my Mk6 GiT from new since 2010 so know it well.
It gives me abit of jip now and them, like last week the wing-mirror in-and-down when putting it reverse started playing up.............so now it goes in-and-up..!....no biggie, I'll get VW to sort it.

She now has 90k on the clock but feels as good as new, with only minor wear-and-tear bits being replaced since inception.

However, today whilst driving home from work on an-A road at 70mph (yes really!), she lost all power in the accelerator pedal. I quickly noticed that no dashboard lights were displaying and that the brake was still working (so not an electrical fault).
I stopped on side, turned off and restarted and she was back to normal.
As I do many miles on A and M roads, this is a worry.............any idea's please?

Ta
Red
Mk6 GiT since birth in 2010

YNWA

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: No Power
« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2017, 08:57 »
Throttle pedal have know to go faulty.
Get it scanned and see what comes up as could be a number of things.
But I suspect its the pedal. Easy fix as its electric and just plugs in. Also check the plug behind it is plugged in ok. Maybe even unplug it and then plug it back in as may just be a bad connection.

If the dash had lit up like a Christmas tree and its a DSG I would have suggested maybe the Mecatronics unit is playing up.

Nice to read about a long term owner  :cool:
« Last Edit: 19 July 2017, 09:08 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline RedHP

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2017, 14:39 »
Thanks for the advice Sn00p! Its going in for MOT soon but having tyres replaced beforehand so will ask VW to look at this too.
Im glad that the dash didn't light up either as would probably have meant a long wait at the side of the road and $$$, ha !

The wife tries to persuade me to buy a newbie but I love my GiT so can't bear to part with her yet, had her since new so she is my baby!
At 90k miles she still feels tight.
Im waiting for the Mk8 GiT but may still keep this one too.....shh dont tell the wife !

Ta
Red
Mk6 GiT since birth in 2010

YNWA

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #3 on: 19 July 2017, 18:47 »
If the dash does ever light up. Simply do what you did, switch off and restart, resets most things. :wink:
I would say its the pedal this time though. Easy change.
No need to panic change to a new car for a simple issue like this. It could and has happened on ones within the first year.
As said check the plug and wiring, you may have simply caught it when hoovering the carpet.
« Last Edit: 20 July 2017, 20:53 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline mwad gti

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2017, 21:25 »

Nice to read about a long term owner  :cool:
:wink:

Had mine from new too  (Sept 2012)
Candy White 3 dr Manual 2012 GTi. Bought new.
DAB, Dynaudio, Kenwood Head Unit Upgrade, Private Plate,
Full Leather and Heated Seats
18" Shadow Monzas, luxury pack.
Colour coded side skirts and gloss black diffuser.

Offline mwad gti

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2017, 21:26 »
If the dash does ever light up. Simply do what you did, switch off and restart, resets most things. :wink:
I would say its the pedal this time though. Easy change.
No need to panic change to a new car for a simple issue like this. It could and has happened on ones within the first year.
As said check the plug and wiring, you may have simply caught it when hoovering the carpet.

As Snoopy said :smiley:
Candy White 3 dr Manual 2012 GTi. Bought new.
DAB, Dynaudio, Kenwood Head Unit Upgrade, Private Plate,
Full Leather and Heated Seats
18" Shadow Monzas, luxury pack.
Colour coded side skirts and gloss black diffuser.