Author Topic: 46 MPG.  (Read 13794 times)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: 46 MPG.
« Reply #20 on: 01 June 2019, 07:35 »
I can honestly say I don't think I've ever seen more than 33/34 in my CS (in 2 years and 20,000 miles)! Even on fairly steady runs. I think 30 is my long term average, I have no idea how people get 40+ out of theirs...

Deliberate economy driving. Pulse and glide and all that. I got 36mpg out of a Mk4 R32 on a 30 odd mile round trip years back. If I try, I can get low 40's from my Amarok, which normally averages low 30's.

The thing is, saving 10mpg on the odd short journey is going to save bugger all money, so why bother? Better to concentrate on making sure your knob is pointing upright.
« Last Edit: 01 June 2019, 17:36 by dubber36 »
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #21 on: 01 June 2019, 11:03 »
Better to concentrate on making sure your knob is pointing upright.

I shall endeavour to keep my knob pointing upright whenever possible from now on!  :smiley:
Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #22 on: 03 June 2019, 22:12 »
I clocked 47.5 mpg commuting this morning. It wasn’t fun, but even if I was Lewis Hamilton behind the wheel of a Veyron, I still wouldn’t have been able to get to work any quicker given the traffic so on that basis it’s quite satisfying getting decent economy. Of course, when the roads are empty I’ll drive like I’ve sat on a hornets nest and probably average 32 on the same road  :laugh:
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #23 on: 03 June 2019, 22:27 »

As a result, I ordered a 7.5 R immediately...

:grin:
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 15 June 2019, 18:32 »
I do this long journey at least 4 times a month, and as the engine has been loosening up as I’ve put the miles on (just turned 4k) the MPG has got better with each journey.

It’s a combination of motorways and A roads, in ‘comfort’ on the DCC/drive, and using the ACC.  This morning I saw this at the other end...

SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 15 June 2019, 19:34 »
I do this long journey at least 4 times a month, and as the engine has been loosening up as I’ve put the miles on (just turned 4k) the MPG has got better with each journey.

It’s a combination of motorways and A roads, in ‘comfort’ on the DCC/drive, and using the ACC.  This morning I saw this at the other end...

That's a good effort. Nice Parkers as well  :smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 15 June 2019, 20:35 »

I’ve done just over 4k. Haven’t noticed an improvement in economy but the car feels noticeably quicker. Engine is nice and loose and the car feels lighter.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #27 on: 15 June 2019, 23:41 »

That is pretty impressive for a GTI, who needs a diesel!  :smiley:
Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 16 June 2019, 06:38 »
Has anyone ever had reason to test their mpg driving super slowly? I did in the truck last weekend as I was driving rear gunner for a cycle road race. 50 miles on an undulating rural circuit at an average of 22mph saw 42mpg. I expected it to be poor as I thought you need a certain degree of speed otherwise the you were using fuel for a much longer period of time, as opposed to using fuel efficiently for a shorter time. It seems that trundling along at little more than tickover is the way to save the most fuel. I guess that's why the flat caps in their Honda Jazz's do that all the time.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #29 on: 16 June 2019, 07:17 »
The most effective way to save fuel is:

- Don’t floor the throttle, use light presses.
- Anticipate the road ahead to avoid heavy braking - where possible just lift off and coast, only using the brake to come to a full stop.
- When cruising ease off the throttle a little - you can do this without losing momentum or speed.
- Try and drive at a constant speed and close enough to the car in front that other cars can’t pull out of junctions in front of you causing you to slow down and build momentum again.
- Lift off the throttle when coasting down hill. Just dab the throttle occasionally to keep momentum.

If you have the active dials set to show Efficiency and Range, the dial on the left showing MPG has a red bar going around the dial. This shows how efficiently you’re driving. Similar to the Think Blue function.

Of course driving like this kind of defeats the purpose of owning a GTI but if you’re stuck on a single carriage A road with zero chance of over-taking then you may as well save some fuel and play the MPG challenge to relieve the boredom!

Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.