Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529854 times)

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #90 on: 12 October 2015, 12:39 »
Looks great Bec already!

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #91 on: 12 October 2015, 13:30 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Blackmass

• Not said much yet
« Reply #92 on: 12 October 2015, 13:36 »
Looking good Rebecca, can't wait to see the finish article.

Just a couple of questions if I may?

What Clay do you use, clay bar, cloth or mitt?  When applying the iron remover, do you cover the whole car? When removing the iron remover do you use a cloth or just rinse it off?

I'll be ordering my last 'bits' for my Winter prep this week from Auto Finesse. Hopefully start it this weekend,fingers crossed the weather plays ball.
« Last Edit: 12 October 2015, 20:06 by Blackmass »

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #93 on: 12 October 2015, 14:11 »
Hows the raceglaze filter working Booth, getting rid of water marks?

It's brilliant Kyle. Used it 3 times now and am kicking myself for not buying one 2 years ago. Best £100 quid I've ever spent on detailing gear. Yesterday's efforts were so much more relaxed as I didn't have to race against the water marks drying on.  After rinsing I could just leave it and not bother drying it off, but it seems wrong to leave it dripping, lol, and I like to have it properly finished off, and, as I have lots of great WoWo towels plus the Sidekick dryer, it would be a shame not to use them!  But the wing mirror water trap can drip all day long and no water marks.  :laugh:

I'll post a review thread on it this week.  I'm keeping a note of how many uses I get from the first filter pack.  Someone on vwroc, got a year before they had to purchase a replacement pack but they only used it for the final rinse. I've used it for all rinsing but used unfiltered water for the 2 bucket washes.   

So far, very, very good.  :smiley:   
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #94 on: 12 October 2015, 14:30 »
Looking Rebecca, can't wait to see the finish article. j

Just a couple of questions if I may?

What Clay do you use, clay bar, cloth or mitt?  When applying the iron remover, do you cover the whole car? When removing the iron remover do you use a cloth or just rinse it off?

I'll be ordering my last 'bits' for my Winter prep this week from Auto Finesse. Hopefully start it this weekend,fingers crossed the weather plays ball.

Hi Rob

I used to use Bilt Hamber or DoDo Juice clay bars but am a convert to the clay cloth or mitt and unlikely to go back to traditional clay bars.  I've been using a prototype clay mitt that I'm testing for WoWo, so not yet available. I have used DoDo Juice sponge clay pads but much prefer a cloth, easier to use and hugs the contours on the car better than a flat sponge pad as they are quite rigid.  I would say a decent clay mitt from a reputable detailing site will be fine, that's what I'd go for. I'd probably get something like this although it's out of stock on this site atm.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detailing-clay/detailing-clay-bars/carpro-polyshave-clay-cloth/prod_1361.html   

Some work with water and some need lubricant which can be a simple mild shampoo solution or a proper lube. I love DJ Born Slippy but have used just water before.

As for the iron remover.  I did the roof first, then one side of the car, including the wheels, then the other side, the rear and front.  I sprayed it on, let it dwell for 5 mins (less time if it's sunny), gave it a gentle rub over with a soft MF and then rinsed off.

Not sure if you are using bug and tar remover, but similar procedure, applied to a dry car, either sprayed on or applied with a cloth a panel or two at a time, then wiped over with a MF, and rinsed off thoroughly. Don't let the solvent dry on the car, I wiped over almost immediately and concentrated efforts on the areas where I knew there was glue residue from the stickers.     

Then after all that....we will need pictures of your winter efforts :laugh:   
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #95 on: 12 October 2015, 16:04 »
Quick wash and wax yesterday seeing as the weather has stayed nice. Products used are as follows:

Karcher K4 ecologic
Valet Pro Ph Neutral snow foam
Bilberry Wheel Cleaner
Dodo Juice Hard Candy Panel Pot
Britemax twins
Auto Glym Tire Dressing
Poor Boys Wheel Sealant

Oh and the excellent Wo Wo Lambswool Mitt, Wo Wo Microfibre Mitt, Wo Wo Drying Towel and Wheel Woolies

The result

Need to now try Dodo Juice Purple haze to see if the blue really pops.

Neil
« Last Edit: 12 October 2015, 16:25 by C3PO »
Mk6 GTI, 18" monza shadows, Leather, Bluetooth Phone - gone

Mark 7 R, 19" wheels, lapiz blue, 5 door, leather, reversing camera - gone

2018 Audi S5 Sportback, pano roof, LED Headlights  B&O sound system - gone

Current 2020 Golf GTI TCR, pure grey, pano roof , 90% tints and Akrapovic exhaust.

Offline jimmydub

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #96 on: 12 October 2015, 16:22 »
Hi all, havent been here for a while  :lipsrsealed:

would just like to thank everyone for all the really great advice here in the detailing section. spent last night reading up on lots of stuff i havent a clue about and quite frankly hadn't considered before; because my old girls a bit of shed if i'm honest!
Booth, your work is excellent, very in depth and lots of.... drum roll please.... detail!

thanks again!

sorry for hijacking this thread but just wanted to give credit where its due!

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #97 on: 12 October 2015, 19:28 »
Quick wash and wax yesterday seeing as the weather has stayed nice. Products used are as follows:

Karcher K4 ecologic
Valet Pro Ph Neutral snow foam
Bilberry Wheel Cleaner
Dodo Juice Hard Candy Panel Pot
Britemax twins
Auto Glym Tire Dressing
Poor Boys Wheel Sealant

Oh and the excellent Wo Wo Lambswool Mitt, Wo Wo Microfibre Mitt, Wo Wo Drying Towel and Wheel Woolies

The result

Need to now try Dodo Juice Purple haze to see if the blue really pops.

Neil

That looks fantastic Neil.  I just love Lapiz after a good detail.  :cool:  Many of my favourite products on your list.

Someone on another forum, used the DJ Blue Velvet wax on their Lapiz and it looked good.  Then they used DJ Purple a Haze and it looked amazing, really brought out the colour, better than with the BV.  Seems to be a great choice choice for Lapiz.
« Last Edit: 12 October 2015, 19:30 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #98 on: 12 October 2015, 19:34 »
Hi all, havent been here for a while  :lipsrsealed:

would just like to thank everyone for all the really great advice here in the detailing section. spent last night reading up on lots of stuff i havent a clue about and quite frankly hadn't considered before; because my old girls a bit of shed if i'm honest!
Booth, your work is excellent, very in depth and lots of.... drum roll please.... detail!

thanks again!

sorry for hijacking this thread but just wanted to give credit where its due!

Thanks jimmy, appreciate you taking to trouble to comment. :smiley: It's very nice to get good feedback and glad you are finding some useful stuff in this section from all who dwell in here. There's some really great people contributing, and long may it continue. 

Look forward to you sharing your tips and detailing exploits in the future.  And obligatory pics of course.  :wink:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Blackmass

• Not said much yet
« Reply #99 on: 12 October 2015, 20:33 »

[/quote]
Then after all that....we will need pictures of your winter efforts :laugh:
[/quote]

Thanks Rebecca for another detailed response. I expected nothing less. :smiley:

I think I'll try a clay cloth as well as a bar.  Talking of Carpro.....Here's a few towels I bought last week by Carpro.

Of course I'll post some pics when I've finished my Winter prep.