Author Topic: Engine oil top up (Mk 7.5 GTI 230 manual)  (Read 9077 times)

Offline andyb_123

• Not said much yet
Re: Engine oil top up (Mk 7.5 GTI 230 manual)
« Reply #10 on: 04 April 2018, 08:34 »
The amount of people I go out to that have though the red light means it needs topping up is crazy! They just keep driving until it seizes despite it making horrid noises beforehand!

:grin:

Also, now you mention the two lights, we used to fill up after the info panel said to do so, so not really a 'light' but just a warning message. For clarity we are not so cruel to our car that we'd drive it till it seizes up totally!

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 04 April 2018, 08:57 »
The amount of people I go out to that have though the red light means it needs topping up is crazy! They just keep driving until it seizes despite it making horrid noises beforehand!

Also, now you mention the two lights, we used to fill up after the info panel said to do so, so not really a 'light' but just a warning message. For clarity we are not so cruel to our car that we'd drive it till it seizes up totally!

Do people really wait for a warning light or message to be displayed before checking / topping up the oil level? Maybe I’m old fashioned, but I manually check my oil level (and coolant level) every month and also check the tyre pressures at the same time. Better to be proactive, rather than reactive IMO.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline cossiegaz82

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 04 April 2018, 11:31 »

Do people really wait for a warning light or message to be displayed before checking / topping up the oil level? Maybe I’m old fashioned, but I manually check my oil level (and coolant level) every month and also check the tyre pressures at the same time. Better to be proactive, rather than reactive IMO.

No, most folk don't wait for a message to come up on the dash, they see the message, ignore it, the car breaks down (usually in a catastrophic fashion), they call us out, I turn up and they moan about how crap and unreliable the car as how it's going to cost a fortune to repair! Lol! Prevention is far better than a cure as they say!

Like the lady I went to the other day. Mercedes which failed to start after running out of Adblue. Got a warning that it wouldn't start after so many miles, ample warning to get it topped up but no, drove it until it ran out and wouldn't restart. Her excuse? 'I thought it was joking!!' Words unusually eluded me on that occasion!!  :rolleyes: