Author Topic: HOW TO: Change your FRONT top mounts  (Read 63424 times)

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
  • Been there...Done that...
Re: HOW TO: Change your FRONT top mounts
« Reply #10 on: 07 February 2011, 22:03 »
Look at the top mount there is a ridge in the middle. This is so the special nut shoulder can hold the mount on the bearing. This will also cause extra movement on the mount also. Look how an original strut is put together.

Most people throw the nuts away when they shouldn't.

The nut you get with the coilover is a replacement top nut only.
« Last Edit: 07 February 2011, 22:05 by tshirt2k »

Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 07 February 2011, 22:12 »
I see fair enough. It was lowered (apparently by a garage) when I bought the car.

The new coilovers came with two nuts each. I'll have to try and sorce some then.  :undecided:

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 07 February 2011, 22:19 »
Garages don't always do jobs properly.  :wink: 

I think the nut pn is

Special Nut: 1HO 412 365a x2

Offline dennis10

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 07 February 2011, 22:25 »
Hi guys, this is a really TOP thread! Well done for this, as it is something I will be attempting in the near future - would it be possible though for someone to update that diagram that Bellend posted if it is incorrect or in the wrong order?!  Just so I dont get confused when the time comes..  :nerd:

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 07 February 2011, 23:08 »
Hi guys, this is a really TOP thread! Well done for this, as it is something I will be attempting in the near future - would it be possible though for someone to update that diagram that Bellend posted if it is incorrect or in the wrong order?!  Just so I dont get confused when the time comes..  :nerd:

I think I see what he's saying, right order but wrong nut?

It's a shoulder nut on the bearing so that it holds the rubber on yea?

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline MiiTCH-GOLF

• GTI forum regular
  • Low Life!!
« Reply #15 on: 08 February 2011, 00:49 »
Just a pointer. You don't need to take the strut off to change them Ans ruin you wheel alignment. Also the way you have the bearing on is wrong. You should put the bearing on, then the top mount. Then there is a special nut that holds the top mount onto the bearing and also holds the spring down. The top mount shouldn't just come off.

Then goes the top cap once you fit it back into the structure housing and the top nut.

Its a common mistake that people make with coilovers because they don't come with instructions.

You can fit top mounts without removing strut especially on coilover due there not being much force on the spring. Also negates the use of spring compressors. You can use a trolley jack to raise the wishbone to compress the spring whilst you remove the top mount nut. Then let the lack down, remove mount and bearing. Then replace.

I've done it many times like this but may not be as simple if you have standard shocks and springs.
This sounds quite easy like this so do I use a normal jack the a trolley jack?? When the wishbone is jacked up should the top nut just undo?? I am stumped :s

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 08 February 2011, 08:23 »
Never use a normal jack! The car should be on an axle stand. You then jack under the wishbone to compress the spring. You will still need to use allen key and spanner to undo the two nuts.

Offline mark-mk3gti

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 19 September 2011, 18:29 »

:smiley:

That's exactly how mine is.

Sorry to dig thread up, but is this the correct order or should the cap bolt go on top of the Top mount? So it holds it on?

Cheers

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 19 September 2011, 18:37 »
That pic is wrong. The "cap nut" goes above the top mount.

Offline mark-mk3gti

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 19 September 2011, 18:43 »
That pic is wrong. The "cap nut" goes above the top mount.

Thought so! Was Just checking! I've read a lot of stuff about suspension, it's done my head in, hopefully the kit will be on on wed, assuming me and my mate manage it, lol,  it's cos it's a mk2 kit so have now ordered the early springplate, bearing, nut, so I can use my mk3 topmounts, then I will change to vr ones at some point.. Just praying the top nuts play nice :)