Author Topic: Has school changed? Or are kids just really spoilt?  (Read 6945 times)

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
Re: Has school changed? Or are kids just really spoilt?
« Reply #10 on: 19 June 2007, 18:51 »
I suppose just because someone's young, it doesn't mean they won't appriciate it.

I completely disagree with that !

Offline SteveS

• I live here
  • GTI ED30
« Reply #11 on: 19 June 2007, 19:38 »
when i was 16 my dad got my a new mk5 fiesta, i appreciated it, and still have the car 6 years later!!!
SteveS

ED30: Carbonio Intake & Filter | Blueflame TBE | Ebach Sportlines | Neuspeed Torque Arm Insert | Forge DV | REVO Stage2 [353BHP/360lb/ft]

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
« Reply #12 on: 19 June 2007, 20:26 »
I think it's fair to say that there 'kids' who do appreciate gifts from their parents, even when the gift is an expensive car. But generally there's too many spoilt kids out there even without them being given expensive cars.

Yours sincerely,
Mr Angry of Mayfair
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

sharpie

« Reply #13 on: 19 June 2007, 21:37 »
Who cares?

:grin: bang on. what a sh!t post.

....Sounds like the comments one might expect from a spoilt kid.

In my opinion the posted thread is relevant in that it's mentioning types of GTI owners.
sh!t imo of course, if you were a parent with bags of money, you'd want the best for your kid and buy them a car. unfortunately the majority of younger people buy their own cars, or their parents save up and buy them something small and economical.

ie. post is sh!t.

Dinky

« Reply #14 on: 19 June 2007, 21:41 »
yeah..sharpie posted a pic of his golf with pink on it..he is like the don of sh!t posts..

:tongue:

Dinx :kiss:

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #15 on: 19 June 2007, 21:46 »
But, yes, I do agree that many kids are spoilt by their parents and consequently they don't learn how to value things they have.
I agree Robin, I would have said they don't learn the value of money.
I NEVER got a car from my parents, I had to buy my own, I bought an old 1966 mini for £15 (I still have it) and spent my early and late teens learning to weld, paint, engine rebuild and restoring mainly by trial and error, this only happened when i had the money from part time work, birthday/chrismas gifts etc for the parts and tools. That way i learned how to save for something i really wanted and needed and how to go without other things, so that i would have something to show for my hard work at the end of the day. It showed me how not to waste money and to scrimp and save for the bigger picture. I think this tort me a VERY valuable lesson and its why im dept free today. This also kept my mates and I off the streets from maybe causing mischeif.
More and more i see the attitude that they must have it NOW. Rather than save a penny and the pounds will take care of themselfs. If there parents cannot give them it they often just take it. Its turned into a very consumer must have culture now.

Geoff.
« Last Edit: 19 June 2007, 22:01 by Snowman »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
« Reply #16 on: 19 June 2007, 22:41 »
sh!t imo of course, if you were a parent with bags of money, you'd want the best for your kid and buy them a car. unfortunately the majority of younger people buy their own cars, or their parents save up and buy them something small and economical.

....That's where I disagree with you: The "best" for your kid (in my opinion) is to teach them how to earn and value what they receive and not to take things for granted and expect to be given things. It's the behaviour of 'expecting' things which makes someone 'spoilt'. However, someone who is already spoilt is highly unlikely to understand this. I speak as a parent and someone who is grateful for how my parents brought me up rather than for what things they bought me as gifts. I will probably buy my daughter driving lessons (for Christmas or birthday) and I may help her to buy a car when she's ready but although I could afford to buy her a new GTI, she has to learn for herself how to 'earn' one.

I was given a car about 4 years ago and I didn't appreciate it anything like as much as the cars I have paid for myself.
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #17 on: 20 June 2007, 10:20 »
I realise that yes times have changed since most people of the people on this forum have been to school and I know that in your times and generations. had you asked your parents for a car (Any car at that) they would have given you this look  :shocked: . They would have probably told you to go buy your own car and to save up etc.

The point I was trying to make in this thread is that kids nowadays seem to just get get get. The guy who has the GTI at my school is not academic, he does no sport. HE hardly passes and yet he gets given a car like that.

I am 16 years old. My parents make me work for what I want. I wanted a cellphone. I had to get over 80% on my report. I wanted a camera and I had to get a good report and my dad looked at how I looked after my other stuff. Now had I got the phone, camera etc without working for it I would probably not respect it. Thats what i am trying to say is that they have these cars. In South Africa our cars are rather exspensive and these guys dont appreciate it. To sharpie- If this post is stupid then please stop reading and replying on it.

when i was 16 my dad got my a new mk5 fiesta, i appreciated it, and still have the car 6 years later!!!

Exactly. In SA that car cost a quarter of a GTI!!!! I have no problem with guys getting Ford Fiestas etc. its just that parents need to know when to stop. He gets a GTI for his 16th birthday. So tell me what is he going to get for his 21st? A audi RS4? A BMW M5?

I am not complaining so dont get that impression. I'm simply stating my opinion and to be honest I think its crazy for students who have no experiance in life. Dont know what its like to get there first pay cheque. And more get to drive cars that our parents should be driving

:smiley:

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Peskarik

« Reply #18 on: 20 June 2007, 10:30 »

I'm sorry. But as a 16 year old in todays society i feel this is crazy. What is going on in parents heads? A merc C class for a first car?

wow.  Whats everyones opinions?

smacks of suppressed envy.

I don't give a sh!t about what anyone else drives. I am not impressed by others' wealth. And when I see someone flaunt it when it is obvious he/she did not amass it on his/her own -  that's kindergarten to me

Peskarik

« Reply #19 on: 20 June 2007, 10:33 »

Exactly. In SA that car cost a quarter of a GTI!!!! I have no problem with guys getting Ford Fiestas etc. its just that parents need to know when to stop. He gets a GTI for his 16th birthday. So tell me what is he going to get for his 21st? A audi RS4? A BMW M5?

I am not complaining so dont get that impression. I'm simply stating my opinion and to be honest I think its crazy for students who have no experiance in life. Dont know what its like to get there first pay cheque. And more get to drive cars that our parents should be driving

:smiley:

If you got an M5 or RS4, you would not write that post. And don't tell me you would refuse the car if it were given to you by your wealthy parents, no one would!  :wink:
Trust me, it is your subconsious supressed envy fcuking with you.