Author Topic: Need help with a polo- Sorry but its urgent  (Read 1194 times)

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
Need help with a polo- Sorry but its urgent
« on: 07 March 2007, 08:58 »
Hi there

I know that this is a golf gti site. But we have just purchased a polo for my gran. Its second hand but in brilliant condition. Its a 2005 model.

The problem we have is that when trying to start the car the steering wheel locks up and the doors attempt to lock. The engine does not even turn over. The car left us standing the other day. My grandson noticed that when you pushed the unlock button on the door then started the car. It would start first time. But for almost 10 seconds the car emmits a beeping sound.

We are worried and since the car is her prized posession we would like tyo solve the problem.
Can anyone help please?

Thanks all in advance

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
Re: Need help with a polo- Sorry but its urgent
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2007, 10:06 »
The problem we have is that when trying to start the car the steering wheel locks up and the doors attempt to lock. The engine does not even turn over. The car left us standing the other day. My grandson noticed that when you pushed the unlock button on the door then started the car. It would start first time. But for almost 10 seconds the car emmits a beeping sound.

Immobiliser issue - could be faulty ignition key (or replacement key incorrectly coded), or a faulty immobiliser pick-up near the ignition lock barrel.  Hook it up to VAG-COM, or similar to read any stored fault codes.

This site may also help: http://www.uk-polos.net/

HTH, rgds
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo