Author Topic: Mk4 1.8t VS Civic Type R  (Read 20927 times)

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
Re: Mk4 1.8t VS Civic Type R
« Reply #80 on: 05 March 2009, 08:25 »
I have no idea what he just said . . .  :huh:

Offline sambo

• I live here
« Reply #81 on: 05 March 2009, 08:32 »
Sam

AXX power!  ..   Tinkering has started.... :smiley:

Offline dobber

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #82 on: 05 March 2009, 09:19 »
Translated, VTEC rocks!  :wink:

For the record in the new EP3 civic and the new its called I-VTEC. It cuts in at 6000rpm although if you have your car remapped you can bring in ht eVTEC at almost any rpm you want.  :cool:
I shall cleave you in twain with the Mighty Sword of Dobber. (Harry Enfield and Chums)

Jkctr

« Reply #83 on: 05 March 2009, 12:27 »
 :laugh:

Sorry guys i have been in amsterdam for a little break!

If you plan on modding get the Golf. I spent thousands on my ctr for 220bhp and 170lb/ft! It was very quick, i came across a few so called 220bhp mk4 gti's (i dont dislike the mk4 gti at all, i dont agree with some of the power claims from dodgy RR's) and i never had a single problem. Thats not to say it destroyed it, i pulled 1 cars lenght at the most (could well be i was a better driver; too many variables to consider on the road though!) The ctr will also leave a gti on corners. It isnt worth the amount you have to spend to be car length ahead though! My MK5 R32 is probly slower than my modded ctr was from rolling, i much prefer to go slower and sound better though  :laugh:

It is hard to compare the two, the ctr is great fun and makes popping to the shops a complete joy! It does wear thin though, mine would hit 8600rpm and had vtec come in at 4.5k rpm. This made it very quick and smoothed out the power band which removes the vtec kick (vtec kick is over rated and annoying!) so the car become more powerful and requires less down changes. I loved mine but after driving my mums MK5 GTI i new i had become tired of revving it so much. The thing that makes you fall in love is usually the thing that makes you fall out of love with it.

For me a car needs to be good out the box, then if i want i can mod it. The ctr ticked this box as its great standard, i made no changes for a year! After modding it and not getting far i needed something better out the box; the R32. The ED30 is better to mod (although FWD) but this wasnt the point for me!

The CTR's trump card is reliability, the leon is very poorly built which put me off. The CTR will rattle but bits will not fall off! The S3 is a good choice to consider but for me it was small and i wasnt a fan of the engine (in mk1 or mk2 form) The GTI mk4 is a very nice car, well built and comfy. A few hundred will see it as quick as a standard ctr but it will never be as fun on a back road or as exhilarating to drive.

Ignore the pathetic chav comments, the mk4 gti is one of the most common cars i see with rude boys driving it with audi A8 alloys, lexus lights and banging sound sytems! Clearly many of you have not been to london! I see as many, if not more chavved up mk4's; they are a few grand cheaper after all! If a cars image puts you of though you would have to be a sad person!

Test both, see if you can have a go in modded versions of each as well if you plan to mod.

Here was mine

Heres a quick vid, it had been pissing it down so 1st is half throttle amd i change 2krpm early, i also let off at 90 (as the private runway was nearly over)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em6ffFsWti4

Sounded ok to (that blip is launch control set at 4krpm so couldn't rev it any louder)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_HwuOGl6I8

Hope thats a bit of help mate, if a little long winded!  :shocked:

Offline the_stink

• Forum addict
  • A3 140 TDI
« Reply #84 on: 05 March 2009, 12:40 »
well just watched the vid, the accleration is pretty damn Rapid!!!

Jkctr

« Reply #85 on: 05 March 2009, 13:03 »
well just watched the vid, the accleration is pretty damn Rapid!!!

For the amount it cost it wasnt really worth it, although i got nearly what i paid for my mods.

Exhaust, Induction and KPRO (ecu) came in at around £1900 fitted for a few tenths off 0-60 and a nicer noise (midrange was vastly improved but that would have been ahieved without other mods and just KPRO)

It is not a mod friendly car, no N/A is! A supercharger will see off M3's though  :evil:

Offline northeast_gti-t

• Serious forum addict
  • "1.8T AGU"
« Reply #86 on: 05 March 2009, 14:25 »
^^^^VTEC doesn't kick in until approx 5500rpm NOT 2.5rpm

the rest of your post i couldn't understand
Agreed  :wink:
2000 Mkiv GTi 1.8T AGU

Offline mk4Martin

• Here all the time
  • Midlands VW
« Reply #87 on: 05 March 2009, 20:33 »
thanks Jules , sounds like you know your stuff. How much would a super charger be or the ecu remap? and what bhp and fuel results would I get ?

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #88 on: 05 March 2009, 20:39 »
thanks Jules , sounds like you know your stuff. How much would a super charger be or the ecu remap? and what bhp and fuel results would I get ?

Tried a CTR forum for your questions?! :rolleyes:
Current Car:- 2014 GTI PP manual, white.

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Car now for sale >>> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140614.0

Jkctr

« Reply #89 on: 05 March 2009, 20:58 »

Depends how well you want to do it? When you start adding clutches, LSD, brakes etc you can be looking at about £6-10k. A 2nd hand charger will save you a few grand.

You can expect around 300bhp.

Your best bet is to get one already done!

http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/846801.htm

As Ivor said though a type-r forum will be your best bet for more info. Im on civictype-r.co.uk as jules86  :wink: