Author Topic: Golf mk7 gti timing chain issue  (Read 6616 times)

Offline baka

• GTI forum regular
Re: Golf mk7 gti timing chain issue
« Reply #20 on: 10 December 2020, 20:19 »
Your garage either can't be arsed, don't have a clue, or likely both.

Personally, I'd take it to a well reviewed VW dealer and ask them to diagnose the fault. Your engine could be junk, or it could be an relatively cheap and easy fix.

Find someone competent, who can give you a concrete diagnosis, then you'll at least know were you stand.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 10 December 2020, 20:40 »
Depends what work needs to be done to get that diagnosis.
Sounds to me that the previous owner knew it was a big bill so moved it on.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline K9golf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 11 December 2020, 08:43 »
The previous owner must of thought it was the chain too and then got it replaced to find it made no difference. Am not sure wether to trade it or take a gamble and change oil pump??

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 11 December 2020, 09:43 »
It is a difficult situation for you- I do sympathise.
Despite the technical competence of whoever you take the car to, it can still take some time ( and expense) to get to the bottom of the problem- and there's then the significant possibility of a very expensive fix.
This is where you do need a trusted and competent garage- who can at least give pragmatic advice on how to approach it.
I think I'd probably have one other garage give an opinion.
I just get the impression the guy who sold you the car knew exactly what the problem was- and that the solution wasn't a cheap one.
How long have you had the car?
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline K9golf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 11 December 2020, 09:53 »
I’ll try and get a 2nd opinion, I’ll try finding a garage who’s had previously diagnosed these type of issues. I’ve only had car for around 2 weeks now....lesson learnt

Offline Resonance Charge

• Just got here
« Reply #25 on: 11 December 2020, 18:43 »
It’s a bad situation to land in with a new purchase!
I see situations like this all too frequently........  Owners encounter a problem and rather than deal with it correctly; dispose of the car to the trade or unwitting buyer.  It fails to get repaired correctly and the process starts over!  The noise Could be a coincidence following your purchase but must probably not!?

My observation of your situation:
You didn’t pay the ‘repairing’ garage a fee to diagnose the problem?  It was listened to in the car park and off the back of that the chain etc was replaced?
ALWAYS pay for competent diagnosis/checks.
Initially the engine should have been timed up and valve train checked for correct alignment/slack. Check the oil for contamination (fuel) and independently checked the oil pressure if the chain/timing checked out. I guess this may have been done retrospectively??

Was the engine oil and filter changed with the chain and tensioner/guide rails?  In order the validate components warranty it should have been. If it wasn’t, that could be partially to blame but maybe not the underlying fault? Did the ‘repairer’ have the correct alignment tools/kit?  I’ve seen paint marks used on a stretched chain which clearly messed up the timing of the new chain etc!!

As mentioned previously; partially blocked oil pump pick up could be the offender?  No knocking from bottom end or oil pressure warning would be encouraging for the engine/crank itself.

Find a trustworthy and recommended garage locally and get them on the case. Make sure you tell them everything so as they miss nothing!!

Good luck.

Offline K9golf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 05 January 2021, 21:40 »
Thanks for your reply guys hopefully will try another garage when lock down gets lifted now. This guy was experiencing same issue as me but not sure what he did.
https://youtu.be/eF9rSg9u41c

Offline K9golf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 21 February 2021, 23:36 »
Sorry for late reply still having no luck. Managed to have it plugged in for fault code reading...

Engine oil pressure low
Camshaft position sensor circuit range, performance
Fuel control system B too Rich at idle bank 1

Any ideas?

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #28 on: 22 February 2021, 13:34 »
Almost two months since your last post, im guessing you havent actually got a proper garage to have a look at it yet? Low oil pressure is not something i would let fester. You could be doing untold damage. There is the possibility that the sensors related to camshaft positions are faulty. Can you post a video of the noise?
Have you any warning lights on the dash? Was the oil/filter changed during the fitting of new TB and kit? Have you verified the oil level personally?'
I personally wouldnt be driving the car with low oil pressure.
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline K9golf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 22 February 2021, 18:18 »
You right I’ve not had a proper garage check the car. Cars not being driven it’s been parked up. I’ll make a quick vid of noise. I’ll double check oil levels but no the oil hasn’t been changed. No warning lights whatsoever.