Author Topic: 1.8T as a track day car?  (Read 1071 times)

Offline driver_hr

• Just got here
1.8T as a track day car?
« on: 02 January 2017, 20:39 »
Im after a track day car which i want to buy and get ready for the summer. Mk4 gtis are well within my budget and just want to know how well they do on track, done a quick search an been getting mixed opinions from people so i thought id ask on here as you guys would know alot better. I know the engines are quite strong and reliable but what i wanted to know was how well generally do these cars handle? The obvious thing first is a remap which should get it to around 200bhp, some coilovers, strip it out an some decent disks an pads.

Also i understand the standard 150bhp gtis come in 2 different engine codes AGU and AUM. As far as i understand the AGU is the stronger engine but you can squeeze a little more power out from the AUM after a remap. So what years have the AGU engine and what years have the AUM engine? Thanks

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: 1.8T as a track day car?
« Reply #1 on: 02 January 2017, 20:46 »
Mk4 will never be as good as a 182 Clio or civic type r as a cheap track car but if you want the mk4 go for one after 2000 with the aum as with a map exhaust and filter 230-240 is possible but if you have deep pockets anything is possible  :smiley:

Offline R44MS_K

• GTI forum regular
Re: 1.8T as a track day car?
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2017, 08:11 »
we have a 4motion 1.8T as a track car

loads of fun and never fails to disappoint!!

Autowindows / Miles to Empty / Key Programming / Cluster swaps / Vagcom - East / West / North and South London and Southampton (and anywhere in between!) ©