Author Topic: Does anybody use a CTEK MXS 5 on a Mk7 GTI?  (Read 1946 times)

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
Does anybody use a CTEK MXS 5 on a Mk7 GTI?
« on: 28 February 2019, 16:16 »
Long story short:  my dashcam, which is actually two cameras (front and rear) has a gizmo which should shut it down if the battery voltage drops below 11v, to maintain the battery in useable condition if the car is parked for any length of time - the cameras have a "parking" mode, activated by movement, which records for 30 seconds if any potential scrote or felon comes near the car.

But it didn't.  The result being multiple warnings telling me that the Auto Hold and parking brake have ceased to function, and the ACC isn't working, not that I bothered with that anyway.  Of far greater importance is that, according to my VW Connect app, the battery voltage is 8.1v, and the car won't start.

I have one of those fag-packet sized jump start battery things, but my helpful local VW indy reckons that there's a possibility of a voltage spike if I jump start the car. 

Not wishing to risk frying any of the no-doubt expensive circuitry, I've ordered a CTEK MXS 5 from Amazon, which should appear some time tomorrow.

Has anybody else used one of these apparently highly regarded battery charger/conditioner devices on a Mark 7 GTI?  Are there any issues that I should be aware of?  I've had a go on the "Search" function, and it's brought up an old thread about making sure that the negative connector is attached correctly, but I just wondered if I need to be careful of anything else?

Apart from buying another voltage drop monitor thingy for the cameras, obviously.

Thanks in advance!

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Re: Does anybody use a CTEK MXS 5 on a Mk7 GTI?
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2019, 16:26 »
I've had one for nearly 5 years now. Never had to use it on my car but use it 2 or 3 times a week on my Transit.
They are fantastic chargers which should work perfectly well with a Golf.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2019, 16:57 »
Is your dashcam hard wired properly? I've got the Thinkware F770 and it's been absolutely fine with the battery and parking mode.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2019, 18:16 »
Is your dashcam hard wired properly? I've got the Thinkware F770 and it's been absolutely fine with the battery and parking mode.

Yes, it worked perfectly in my Mark 6, and I only became aware that it wasn't working properly quite recently - I noticed that the red LED in the driver's door wasn't working after the car had been standing for a weekend, and had a "low battery" warning when I started the car.  It started ok, and I disconnected the cameras for a few days to confirm that was the cause.

When I'm using the car every day, which I usually do, there's no noticeable problem.  I'll have a look at the Thinkware, as it might be worth a try.  I don't want to lose the option of having the cameras working while the car is parked.

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2019, 19:33 »
I’ve only used mine once to give the battery a good charge when I brought the car.
I connected to the battery and earth at the time.
I’ve got a cigarette charger plug to use in future.
My only concern is if it’s safe with the battery module charging via the cigarette socket but can’t find any concerns on the internet.
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2019, 22:42 »
My dealer uses CTEK battery conditioners on the showroom cars all the time. No idea of the model they use, but they, obviously, have no problems. I have a CTEK MXS 5.0 which I use on our VX220 track car through the winter, without any problems. Keeps the battery in peak condition and has settings for all types of battery, including high capacity stop/start batteries like we have in the Golf.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Philb280

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 01 March 2019, 06:29 »
I’ve got one, not used it on the Golf.
Had it on my RS as the alarm drains the battery and I only use the car over the summer -it’s great as it keeps the battery in tip top condition.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 01 March 2019, 20:52 »
Thanks to everybody who replied.  The charger arrived this afternoon, and was on the car for four hours, giving enough power to start the car.

I've taken it off overnight, as I can only plug my extension lead into a socket in the entrance lobby, and I can't leave the outer door wedged open overnight, but I'll put it back on charge tomorrow morning, and Sunday as well.

All seems to be in order, so as long as I don't leave the car parked for more than a day or two without disconnecting the cameras, it should be ok.  At five years old, I suspect that a new battery might be on the agenda soon anyway.