Author Topic: Marked Windows  (Read 3938 times)

ianj37

Marked Windows
« on: 25 August 2019, 19:53 »
I have a problem with my MY19 Mk7.5. The windows look clean but when the sun hits them, particularly the rear screen it looks as if it's covered in fine very small fibres about 1 - 1.5 mm long - I don't think they are scratches and no idea whether they are inside or out. As well as the usual shampooing I've tried Autoglym fast glass and serveral other glass cleaners but nothing shifts it. Any ideas what it could be and how to get rid? The only thing I'm wondering is that the dealer put Diamondbrite protection inside and out - could they have somehow got that on the glass?
Thanks for your help
Ian

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
Re: Marked Windows
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2019, 21:56 »
What kind of cleaning cloth are you using? I find microfibre leaves small fibres on the glass, just as you describe. I use a dedicated e-Cloth glass cleaning cloth for crystal clear results.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 29 October 2019, 08:57 »
Yep, it will be the fibres from a cheaper or older microfibre. Glass is perhaps one of the hardest things to get really clean.

I use this product which I have found to be the best I've tried. The key is to use only a little product for glass (most people use far too much solution)

https://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/chemical-guys-signature-series-glass-cleaner-8679.html

Then you need some good quality cloths that you keep just for windows. I use these:

https://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/martin-cox-yellow-edgeless-microfibre-cloth-7806.html

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #3 on: 29 October 2019, 14:12 »
Did you have the protection (is it the autoglym stuff?) added at purchase? Is there a slight chance that it's something from that?

Just a thought and I don't know if it's even possible lol.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!