Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 530266 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #280 on: 03 February 2016, 21:33 »
Lovely, lovely job.  :cool:  TR looks so good when washed and waxed. 

Be interested to find out how long your wax will last on top of C2v3.  I'm not convinced the two are compatible and C2 is designed to be used in conjunction with other Gtechniq products, so I can't see wax lasting very long on top of it, but would be good to hear your feedback.  :smiley:

Cheers :smiley: It was a morning well spent, won't stay that way for long though. I'll keep an eye on the life of the wax but tbh I'm not sure how I'll tell when it's expired as the C2v3 beads very well. Can it text or mail me? :grin:

Even if it doesn't last too long, I must say again how very quick it was to apply and finish off so it won't be too much bother to re-apply.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #281 on: 05 February 2016, 19:41 »
Snow foamed with Valet Pro PH Neutral
3 bucket wash using Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo and Conditioner
WoWo Lambswool Mitt
Dried with WoWo plush drying towel  and awkward bits blown away with Metro Vac Sidekick
Base coat sealant Jeffs Werkstat Prime followed by two coats of Dodo Juice Blue Velvet Pro
Meguiars Endurance Gel on the tyres.
Not taking it out as it started raining as soon as I had finished  :angry:

« Last Edit: 05 February 2016, 19:45 by JB GTI »
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #282 on: 05 February 2016, 20:30 »
That is totally stunning.  :shocked: :shocked: :cool:

Your's is the best turned out Lapiz I've ever seen.

How's the Sidekick?

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #283 on: 05 February 2016, 23:41 »
That is totally stunning.  :shocked: :shocked: :cool:

Your's is the best turned out Lapiz I've ever seen.

How's the Sidekick?

Loving the side kick. Thanks again.  Just getting used to where to point it to get the best results  :rolleyes:

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #284 on: 06 February 2016, 10:07 »
That looks incredible JB!! I do love Lapis Blue as a colour!

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #285 on: 06 February 2016, 10:54 »
Thanks everyone  :laugh:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #286 on: 11 February 2016, 23:14 »
No detailing as such but a couple of purchases -  it's always fatal looking on detailing websites!!

Been looking for a small-ish portable LED light to use when doing polishing work. Have been using HWMBO's Halogen lights (on a stand) from his workshop but they are often out on jobs so need something off my own.

Came across this when I was ordering my Swisswax yesterday, and was tempted then but managed to exercise a modicum of self restraint. But made the mistake of having another look on Polished Bliss tonight and oops......ordered. Roll on the polishing!

Some info on DW here http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=335318

And a new wax to try:

Away for a week's trip to my home county of West Yorkshire this weekend - cue lots of spirited R driving up and down some real hills (finally), then on my return, the Swissvax Onyx on the bonnet will make way for the Best of Show which is next on the testing list.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #287 on: 12 February 2016, 07:12 »
That torch looks mint!

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #288 on: 12 February 2016, 14:02 »
No detailing as such but a couple of purchases -  it's always fatal looking on detailing websites!!

Been looking for a small-ish portable LED light to use when doing polishing work. Have been using HWMBO's Halogen lights (on a stand) from his workshop but they are often out on jobs so need something off my own.

Came across this when I was ordering my Swisswax yesterday, and was tempted then but managed to exercise a modicum of self restraint. But made the mistake of having another look on Polished Bliss tonight and oops......ordered. Roll on the polishing!

Some info on DW here http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=335318

And a new wax to try:

Away for a week's trip to my home county of West Yorkshire this weekend - cue lots of spirited R driving up and down some real hills (finally), then on my return, the Swissvax Onyx on the bonnet will make way for the Best of Show which is next on the testing list.
When I eventually pick my new car up, if I instruct the dealer to do nothing more than remove the stickers, what would be the best process to properly prepare my car ?
I know this answer will vary but I'm particularly interested in your view Rebecca as you seem the most fastidious person on the entire forum when it comes to their car  :smiley:
PS
This has now been confirmed with the purchase of an expensive imperfection spotter :laugh:
« Last Edit: 12 February 2016, 14:05 by kalimon »
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #289 on: 12 February 2016, 17:20 »
When I eventually pick my new car up, if I instruct the dealer to do nothing more than remove the stickers, what would be the best process to properly prepare my car ?
I know this answer will vary but I'm particularly interested in your view Rebecca as you seem the most fastidious person on the entire forum when it comes to their car  :smiley:
PS
This has now been confirmed with the purchase of an expensive imperfection spotter :laugh:

Haha, I just had to have it.  :laugh:

Kalimon, have a look at my first R detail thread  http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=275907.0

That goes through all the steps I did from new. The dealer didn't prep the car, I asked to remove the stickers but to leave any glue residue on as I didn't want to risk them scrubbing away at it causing damage.

As the car was untouched and new, it didn't need claying or polishing so I gave it a thorough wash followed by decontamination process (consisting of de-iron and de-tar (but no claying)) and then moved onto the sealing and waxing phases.

The process went as follows below but there's more detail in the thread I linked to above.

Moisten car with jet wash
Snow Foam
2/3 bucket shampoo - wheels first
Jet wash rinse
Quick dry off
Iron remover application
Rinse off with jet washer
Dry car
Tar remover application
Rinse off with jet washer
2/3 bucket shampoo
Jet wash rinse
Final open ended hose rinse
Dry
Seal wheels
Bodywork sealant
Bodywork wax
Clean glass
Tyre dressing
Polish Tailpipes
Interior clean + interior glass

It is crucial that the car is properly thoroughly washed before decontaminating. If you just snow foam and jet wash off but don't do the 2BW, as both of these decon products are applied to the car (spray or cloth) and then need agitating with a cloth before rinsing off, there is a very good chance there will still be dirt and grit on the surface which will get rubbed into the paintwork during the process.

Iron remover can be sprayed onto a wet car, but I personally prefer to spray onto a dry car. That way, the product is not having to penetrate the water first before hitting the paintwork, metalwork etc.  Many use it on a wet car though. Tar remover should definitely be applied to a dry car, not a wet one.

A FULL decontamination process would also include claying the car but often Iron remover and Tar remover stages are sufficient to rid the car of the majority of embedded contaminants. And claying is best followed by a polish in case of any marring inflicted on the paint in the process.

If you want to feel the before and after effect of the decon stages, try the plastic bag test. Get a sandwich/ freezer bag and slip your hand into it.  On a washed and dry car, run the palm of your hand (in the bag) over the surface of the paintwork - lower panels are good place to test - you will feel any embedded contaminants present, the plastic bag emphasises the feel of anything on the paintwork.  Decontaminate your car as above, then do the bag test again, and if the car is properly rid of the contaminants, the paintwork will feel glassy smooth.

Hope this helps.  :smiley:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual