Author Topic: Damp carpets ? Water in your footwell ? Read this first !  (Read 20473 times)

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
I see more and more people at this time of the year asking questions about damp carpets and water in the footwell. This is not a comprehensive guide and there may be further issues with rusty inner wings or little rusty pin holes allowing water in, but before asking the question on the forum I would always suggest reading this first. Hope this helps.  :smiley:

http://www.matey-matey.com/leak_prevention.shtml

Can we please not spam this thread and only reply if you have found a leak in your mk2 that is not on the website above, thanks. :afro:
« Last Edit: 20 November 2007, 13:31 by gibby »
......now officially dubless.

Offline tobz.

• I live here
Re: Damp carpets ? Water in your footwell ? Read this first !
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2007, 14:53 »
This is not mentioned on the matey-matey site and I think it's definately worth a mention (cut from another thread I replied to):

Had this in the past on an 8v I had. It turns out the sealant had dried up round the blanking plate under the ecu where the heater fan would be mounted on a lhd.
I would definately check this area as the water used to drip straight onto the fusebox in my old 8v.

You got any pics of your dad's split ?

Offline paul1972

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 05 December 2007, 22:08 »
had the same fault with my 85 8 valve rainis geting past the window seals on your front drop glass and comming down the backof door panel regards paul

Offline Quadrophenia86

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2007, 23:09 »
I had this problem in my Mk2. Turns out the drainage holes on both sides just below the windscreen were full of leaves and crap and it was just filling up and spilling in. Used a bit of cable to get them clear. Still had to drill holes in my footwells to clear the lakes though.

Offline gti man 666

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 31 December 2007, 15:39 »
the roof gutter seals go on mk2s ive owned 2 with this prob an there a tw*t 2 change

Offline wampablo

• Here all the time
  • 2nd mk4
« Reply #5 on: 25 January 2009, 10:28 »
I noticed something as well, where the front window meets the body work theres a gutter that has what i imagine is a drainage hole after a few jugs of water i noticed that this said drainage hole drips into the heater so im gonna block it off see what happens water will still drain away just not through the heater fan

Offline tattoomang60

• Not said much yet
  • smell the fear!!
Could be ya heater maytrix just somthing to av a look at. Cheers ian.
keep pushing the limits!!!

Offline myv8growler

• Not said much yet
We flooded the interior of our mk2. Couldn't figure it out.

turned out to be a leaky rear wash/wipe pipe that runs somewhere through the interior.
Everytime I filled up the washer bottle, the car would slowly get wetter and wetter.

zip tie near the washer bottle has sorted it!