Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362729 times)

Offline BlinGTIes

• Not said much yet
I bought mine from VW so comes with 12 months warranty so at least that gives me some peace of mind.

It's difficult, I'm sure there's lots of cars out there with no issues at all. But it's scary coz when it does go it'll be very costly. Could live with the risk if it was a couple hundred quid to fix but engine rebuilds aren't cheap!

I've decided to enjoy the mk6 and make a decision when the 12 months warranty is almost up.

Offline gaurav_aidasani

• GTI forum regular
If you have an approved used warranty I think you'll be safe. In a years time you could always renew your warranty for 3-400. I thought approved used cars came with 2 year warranty these days?
« Last Edit: 19 February 2016, 09:14 by gaurav_aidasani »

Offline gaurav_aidasani

• GTI forum regular
Nice. Enjoy the MK7.

Still in two minds about whether to try and pull out from the sale, or whether to just do the updated tensioner job and try not to worry.

If you were to pull out what other car would you look at?

Offline ScreenMachine

• Not said much yet
If I did pull out, which I think might be difficult at this stage, it would be a post-2012 Audi A3/A4 Quattro. I always miss the 4WD and what it does to handling.

The likelihood is I'll go through with the deal now as I'm a little too far into the process to walk away easily.

The decision then will be between getting the job done preventatively, which essentially adds about £1K to the price of the car to do it properly, or 'trust' the warranty.

Although I've been assured the warranty would cover me, I did have a problem with my last approved car which the warranty didn't cover, when the clutch jammed and needed replacing, which they wriggled out of.

If you read the Das Welt Auto warranty carefully, it's worded such that they could pretty much get away with covering nothing at all - e.g., it states that manufacturing/ mechanical defects are not covered. Would this be one of those?

I think it's risky to assume before the fact the warranty will definitely put a new engine in a car, even with assurances.

The other issue is, even if the warranty people did the honorable thing, what if the issue occurs on holiday abroad, etc.? The whole idea of having a new-ish, supposedly well-made car is to have it *be* reliable. IMO VW's position of 'if it blows up, then we'll fix it' with a known problem with a simple (if expensive) fix is unacceptable. Will the warranty pay for temporary accommodation while I'm stranded midway to my destination, loss of holiday, etc? I bet it won't.

I find it curious VW are so reluctant to do the job. I've offered to pay for it to be done at the originating dealer and my local, and both just said to use the warranty if it goes wrong. The locals said they've 'only done twelve or so' of these. I think that's a lot given where I live, and the fact that many probably went to indies instead of main dealers anyway.

I've never owned a car that wasn't a VW or Audi, but I'll be much more cautious before I buy into the brand again.
« Last Edit: 19 February 2016, 09:31 by ScreenMachine »

Offline SunnyGTI

• GTI forum regular
I also have the VW approved warranty and am planning to sell up once the warranty expires or extend the warranty...depending on how I feel about the car then haha

The warranty should cover it...based on what VW said to me, but I wouldn't be surprised if they kick up a fuss! However, I would always refer to the warranty and complain on twitter etc if it got to that (complaining on twitter really does help!)

You can always call VW customer care, ask them to search on their system for what repairs have been carried out in the past. Then ask them about the tensioner failure common fault (to which they will say nothing on the system, they are not aware etc). Then you can email VW care (I can PM you the email addresses if you need) and have something in writing to confirm the warranty will cover it?

Offline ScreenMachine

• Not said much yet
Thanks. Yes please do PM me the email, or any contact info, I don't think it would hurt to have them put in writing that it would be covered!

Offline ScreenMachine

• Not said much yet
Re-reading the Approved Used Warranty wording, it states repeatedly that consequential damage is only covered up to £2K. I called them and their opinion was that the engine blowing as a result of timing chain tensioner failing would be considered 'consequential'.

The dealership are assuring me they'd do the rest under 'good will'. How much that would mean in reality if the engine did blow, who knows.

Honestly, what a bloody mess. Why don't VW just recall the affected cars and fit the new tensioner. Job done.

Offline SunnyGTI

• GTI forum regular
Hmm. Is it better to just continue to renew the warranty each year (someone said it was about £300 each year?)

Tbh even after knowing of the risk of the tensioner failing the mk6 GTI was the best all round car I could find for my budget and so I took the risk given warranty is there for a year.

Offline ScreenMachine

• Not said much yet
I cancelled my purchase today. The dealership were very nice but basically couldn't guarantee that the goodwill over and above the used warranty £2000 would cover me.

Since I hadn't gone past a certain point, losing a deposit of £250 was minuscule compared to the potential bill if this problem had occurred.

Offline BlinGTIes

• Not said much yet
Sorry to hear SM, but dont do something you're not comfortable with. In all honesty I'm not sure I'd have gone ahead if I'd known, I probably would because my heart was set on a GTI and I couldn't afford a mk7!

Like sunny said, it's a bloody nice car so I'm just going to enjoy it now I'm stuck with it  :wink: