Author Topic: Maguiars and Poorboys Day Out....  (Read 10343 times)

Offline Ginge 35Edition

• I live here
Re: Maguiars and Poorboys Day Out....
« Reply #10 on: 16 June 2013, 15:35 »
I'm with Jimble on hex logic pads, they've always served me well.

Offline JamesR27

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 16 June 2013, 20:11 »
Ajmoir36 - what did you think of the g220?
MK 7.5 R Pure White, Pretoria Silver, DCC, Rear Camera.
Gone - MK 7 GTI Carbon Grey, Rear Camera, Service Pack.
Gone - MK 6 GTI  Reflex Silver, Monza Shadows, RCD 510, Rear Camera, Bluetooth, Tyre Pressure Sensor, Xenons Convenience pack, Service Pack :)
Gone - MK 5 GTI Reflex Silver, Monza II 18's, Luxury Pack, Mulitchanger

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 16 June 2013, 20:13 »
Yeah the Dodo Juice ones were good, but the Orange on that I used the most is breaking down around the pads. I did notice they say max RPM is 2500 on the orange/green/black so that's probably what has killed it since I used it at speed 4 which I think is 4000RPM. (someone will correct me if I am wrong). They Maguiars though fitted the DA better as the pad holder fitted inside and there was an outer lip.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 16 June 2013, 20:18 »
Ajmoir36 - what did you think of the g220?

I actually though it was very good well built, sturdy, it did get warm whilst using it, there are vibrations though the machine (which someone with poor wrists might not like), and at 2.7Kg once you have wielded it for 5-6 hours my arms knew it today. But you could at lower speeds (2/1) hold it one handed to do the roof in the middle.  I also used a step as I am only 5'6".

Unfortunately I cannot compare it to any others but I do not see why it won't do many more cars in the future.

One comment I though the cable is a little short I had to have the extension lead at the base of the car to get to the middle of the roof. I suppose if I though about it, its shorter than the car. i.e. you cant place the extension at the front and do the entire side the car.

I am very impressed with the results today, I was out in the car and the rain was coming down and it beaded nicely, was also running off it very well.  I also opened the garage door this morning and it just smelt of strawberries, which is great from the Poorboys Nattys Red Wax.
« Last Edit: 16 June 2013, 20:20 by ajmoir36 »
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #14 on: 16 June 2013, 21:33 »
Good work mate, looks ace.  :cool:

You spread it all out over quite a long time! Was it left outside when you weren't working on it?

Only wondering as I always try and get it done in 2 days so minimise the paint getting re contaminated...

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 16 June 2013, 21:42 »
Well it was used to get to work and back 56 miles per day, that's why it got washed Wednesday and Friday evening its garage ever night. So it even got garage briefly between rain bursts on Saturday which was a little annoying.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 16 June 2013, 23:19 »
Well have bitten the bullet and just ordered the Meguairs DA from Amazon.   Now perusing pads etc on waxamomo/clean your car websites.  Going to go with Megs pads I think  :undecided:

Decided to play it safe and use DA initially just to apply wax, so I can get a feel for the machine before progressing onto any correction work when it becomes necessary.   

Ajmoir - did you use any spot pads?   Necessary or not?
« Last Edit: 16 June 2013, 23:20 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 17 June 2013, 00:10 »
Always worth having a couple of spot pads in your arsenal, good for the boot lid and bumpers. :wink: The megs pads seem quite good if not a little expensive as there is only 3 to choose from, cut, polish and finish but if your going to start off with just wax then get something like this which has pretty much no cut at all:

HEX final finish pad

« Last Edit: 17 June 2013, 00:16 by Jimble »
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 17 June 2013, 00:18 »
Cheers Jimble  :smiley:

So now I need to buy the 3" backing plate..........the cost continues to rise, such is life  :laugh:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 17 June 2013, 16:59 »
No spot pads here or backing plates. Oh and when I opened the garage today to go to work...Strawberries smell. Mmmmm, although it rained the entire way to work and the car is filthy again. You just cant win!