Author Topic: Maguiars and Poorboys Day Out....  (Read 10295 times)

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
Maguiars and Poorboys Day Out....
« on: 15 June 2013, 18:37 »
Well today was the day, I am pooped.
Story goes:

Wednesday evening start 19:00 to 21:00
Washed two bucket method, Turtle wax car shampoo.
Dried glass, the rest of the car left wet.
2/3s a bar of clay, folded, washed in water, clayed wet, done in stages, bonnet and wings, roof wing mirrors, front bumper, doors both sides then rear tailgate and rear bumper. small chair/foot stool required for doors and bumper. Very small amount of dodo juice used.

Friday evening start 19:00
Wash as the rain made the car dirty again and touched up a gazillion stone chips on the bonnet. Rain came car put away for the night.

Saturday morning 8:30 start
Tape up entire car with automotive masking tape.
Machine cut using a Dodo Juice green at first moved to orange after two passes with green decided that the green and the SSR1 wasn't cutting the mustard.  In the end I think the swirls were so bad that I should have purchased a heavier cutting cream.
Carried on machine cutting the entire car with the orange and the SSR1 used about a 1/4 of a bottle in total.
Speed 4

12:00 stopped for Heinz curried beans on toast.

12:20
Slapped on the yellow Maguiars Polish pad, speed adjusted to 2, and applied a lot of Poorboys EX-P sealent to make the pad loaded as it would be.
Entire car including inner doors done by 14:00.

Rain.... :cry: raced the car into the garage realising that mirrors don't fold when the are taped up.

14:30 back out
Slapped on the Black Maguiars Finishing pad, speed 1 and sprayed with cold water to make pad damp and used a spatula from the Kitchen (now dyed red) to spoon the Poorboys Nattys Red Paste Wax onto the pad.

15:30 Finished Rain arrived again this time car driven back into the garage.

Removed all blue tape then applied Autoglym Glass cleaner on all glass followed by Poorboys EX-P on the tail lights, headlights, number plates and all glass except windscreen.

Knackered but chuffed with the results. I didn't successfully remove all swirls there are still swirls but I think a more abrasive cream would sort that, but it looks good.

Tomorrow - (Rain pending) wheels off and degreased/waxed.

How bad it was:

All taped up ready to go:

After cutting still some swirls but nowhere near as bad as it was (most of it is dust too)
I think I was scared of ruining it at first so I don't think I applied as much pressure to the bonnet as the rest of it. Rule 1: Don't be scared.

Wrecked Pad

What colour is the car?

After the rain in garage

Things that I learned:

Do not lift off, as well as splatter going everywhere so does the Dodo Juice fin pads, which shot off down the road.
The machine is reasonably heavy and at higher speeds you need to control it. (Wielding for several hours has tired my arms out)
The Maguiars pads are very good and I think they will last a while the lip they have mean they are less likely to fly off and it means the edge polishes too. Whereas the Orange Dodojuice fin pad is looking slightly shot.
Maybe a more abrasive cutting compound would have been better.
Poorboys stuff is excellent and all of it buffed off very easily it also smells very nice.
The Maguiars machine seems very sturdy well put together a little noisy at 4 and quieter at 2 and 1 and will get used again and again.
It takes a lot to get a pad loaded and the EX-P was squeezing out of the pad truck loads when I was cleaning it in the sink, it was laced with the stuff.

Anything I have forgotten please ask!

All the photos are here http://www.flickr.com/photos/techie_ali/sets/72157634139519967/

Video of rain drop running down car to follow.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/techie_ali/9052181330/ Rain drop video, extreme patience required.
« Last Edit: 15 June 2013, 19:22 by ajmoir36 »
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
Re: Maguiars and Poorboys Day Out....
« Reply #1 on: 15 June 2013, 18:57 »
Good effort mate, couple of bits of advice though, apply the wax by hand with a foam pad not with the machine unless using a liquid wax.

It's also worth getting some kind of panel wipe or IPA (iso-propanol alcohol) so you can see how your getting on as you go:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/machine-polishing-pads/polishing-accessories/polish-inspection-sprays/carpro-eraser-intense-oil-and-polish-cleanser/prod_960.html

Need to do mine as she's picked up a few RDS's over the winter! :'(
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 15 June 2013, 19:20 »
Good effort mate, couple of bits of advice though, apply the wax by hand with a foam pad not with the machine unless using a liquid wax.

It's also worth getting some kind of panel wipe or IPA (iso-propanol alcohol) so you can see how your getting on as you go:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/machine-polishing-pads/polishing-accessories/polish-inspection-sprays/carpro-eraser-intense-oil-and-polish-cleanser/prod_960.html

Thanks for that, read the side of the nattys and it didn't mention machines but had read various posts about using the a machine to apply it. Which seemed to work ok.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/techie_ali/9052181330/ Rain drop video, extreme patience required.

What does the wipe do?
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 15 June 2013, 20:54 »
My new favourite shot....

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 15 June 2013, 22:51 »

Thanks for that, read the side of the nattys and it didn't mention machines but had read various posts about using the a machine to apply it. Which seemed to work ok.

What does the wipe do?

The wipe will remove any oils or dust left by the polish to let you see exactly what level of correction you've acheived, generally you don't use machines to apply paste wax cos you'll waste quite a lot plus as you've found out it's a ball ache to get it on the pad! :D
« Last Edit: 15 June 2013, 22:54 by Jimble »

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 15 June 2013, 22:59 »
My new favourite shot....

That's a really great shot, looks superb  :cool:

Thanks for the in-depth step by step run down of the detail, very helpful, especially timings of how long things took and order of jobs.  You must be exhausted.   Hope you enjoyed the curried beans......yum.

Which pads did you prefer, the Meguiars or the Dodo Juice?

Definitely want to get a polisher and pluck up the courage to do mine in not too distant future.  Paintwork is pretty good at the moment, except for the newly resprayed panel!  Bright sunlight today revealed quite a few swirls on it which must have been inflicted at the body shop as I haven't washed it since it's return.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 15 June 2013, 23:43 »
Maguiars pads fitted better although I can't comment on the cutting ability of Maguiars as I didn't buy it.  But the dodo juice one has certainly seen better days. They have all been through the washing machine twice now and look ok.
« Last Edit: 16 June 2013, 08:15 by ajmoir36 »

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 16 June 2013, 02:31 »
I personally have been using chemical guys hex logic pads which are decent along with megs 105 and 205 commonly known as "the twins", they'll cover most applications of VAG (hard) paint depending on what pad you use.

The rule of thumb is to start with the least abrasive pad/compound combo, inspect and step up the pad with the least abrasive compound until you decide that it's not enough then step up the compound on the least abrasive pad and so on..

Offline Obbzi

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 16 June 2013, 12:44 »
Results look fantastic! Well done, some of those pics are fantastic too  :cool: :smiley:
2008 R32 DBP gone. 2008 GT TDI going 2009 GTI coming soon!

Offline JamesR27

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 16 June 2013, 13:40 »
Great results. You have tempted me even more to get a DA.

Just need to work out what pads are best.
MK 7.5 R Pure White, Pretoria Silver, DCC, Rear Camera.
Gone - MK 7 GTI Carbon Grey, Rear Camera, Service Pack.
Gone - MK 6 GTI  Reflex Silver, Monza Shadows, RCD 510, Rear Camera, Bluetooth, Tyre Pressure Sensor, Xenons Convenience pack, Service Pack :)
Gone - MK 5 GTI Reflex Silver, Monza II 18's, Luxury Pack, Mulitchanger