Author Topic: Removing holograms on new paint.(NOW WITH PICS)  (Read 5612 times)

Offline LowlifeDubber

• I live here
Ayup lads,ive just recieved my car back from the bodyshop after having a full respray and while im very happy with the paint work in general it seems during the final buffing there is a little hologramming going on.

Im fairly new to detailing but have a big list of gear ive accrued while it has been in paint.I dont want to use a da or rotary just yet but i would like to get rid of the hologramming by hand.

here is the list of stuff i have got.
2 spangly buckets with lids
1 grit guard
2 Meguiars lambswool wash mitts
1 Elite car care snow foam
4 Lakeland dimpled polish applicators.
10 Dodojuice fantastic fur microfibre cloths
2 Dodojuice Waffle weave cloths
2 Meguiars Terry towel cloths
Meguiars 205 ultra finish polish
Poor boys black hole
Poor boys bug and tar remover
Poor boys Quick Detailer plus
Poor boys spray and gloss
Poor boys bug squach
2 Dodo juice finger mitt
Dodo juice Supernatural wax
Autoglym Bumper care

Now would i be able to use the Meguiars 205 ultra finish polish by hand to remove the hologramming?

Also i have been doing some searching and ive read that it would be best to do it while the paint is still fresh(been baked and has been sprayed since monday) as it is easier to do now than later on.

Any advice would be great.
Heres some pics but you cant see it too much)

Just so you know it is a bit of a pain for me to take it back as it is a fair way away and i would have to trailer it.So would rather sort it myself if poss.
« Last Edit: 06 June 2011, 07:44 by LowlifeDubber »

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
Re: Removing holograms on new paint.
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2011, 20:17 »
you need this polish in your life
http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/3M_Perfect_it_III_Ultrafina_SE_1.html#a3M50383

I am not 100% but i think you'd only get results with that using a machine polisher though

if you want to show the holograms take a picture of the affected panels into direct sunlight or a decent light source.. holograms and cobwebs will show up clearly then

a la...

MERCEDES 280 SLC by Guy Frankland, on Flickr

Offline LowlifeDubber

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2011, 20:36 »
Ahh thats great Guy thanks.Im hoping i will be able to use it by hand.I will take some pics before work tomorrow if it is sunny.Ive got a new camera that i dont know how to use so hopefully i will get the settings right ha ha.

Are holograms fine scratches then?Do they just reflect the light differently making it appear like they jump out at you?The roof is reasonable,the sides are fine but the bonnet is the worse effected.

Thanks again Guy. :cool:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2011, 22:07 »
Ahh thats great Guy thanks.Im hoping i will be able to use it by hand.I will take some pics before work tomorrow if it is sunny.Ive got a new camera that i dont know how to use so hopefully i will get the settings right ha ha.

Are holograms fine scratches then?Do they just reflect the light differently making it appear like they jump out at you?The roof is reasonable,the sides are fine but the bonnet is the worse effected.

Thanks again Guy. :cool:

these are holograms

how long since your car was painted?

Offline LowlifeDubber

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2011, 22:58 »
Yeah mines just like that but i would say your pic is 70% worse than mine.

The shell finished baking monday and the other stuff like doors grill and side panels were finished by wednesday of this week. :smiley:

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2011, 02:58 »
machining it is the only way your going to get the refinement your after, 205 will be fine or as Guy has suggested the 3m ultrafina, you'll need a finishing or glazing pad for this.
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline LowlifeDubber

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2011, 08:24 »
Oh crap!lol
Any ideas how much it will be for a pro to do it?I would just want the holograms removing,i can do the rest myself.
We have this company in Lincoln which are meant to be good but if it will be £200 id rather get the kit and do it myself. :sick:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2011, 16:08 »
Oh crap!lol
Any ideas how much it will be for a pro to do it?I would just want the holograms removing,i can do the rest myself.
We have this company in Lincoln which are meant to be good but if it will be £200 id rather get the kit and do it myself. :sick:

get the kit yourself and do it... the sense of achievement will be ace  :wink:

Offline LowlifeDubber

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2011, 13:17 »
Ok,but if i bugger it up you will be off my christmas card list! :grin:

Im currently in talks with a nice bloke on Edition(it's true some exist :laugh:)called Ashley and he might be selling me his old set up so i will see how i get on.
I have the old wing off the car so im guessing i would be better buggering that one up 1st :evil:

Offline Mr Blue

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2011, 14:50 »
I prefer poorboys white diamond on dark cars. Gives that extra metallic flake pop even on black i found. Also much more forgiving that black hole  :smiley:
:)