Author Topic: Fairy Liquid???  (Read 5156 times)

Offline Bjork

• GTI forum regular
Fairy Liquid???
« on: 13 February 2009, 11:21 »
I know it strips all protection off before anyone has a go at me but here's the deal.  :laugh:

Gonna detail my mates Celica (which I doubt has ever seen a product more extravagent than shampoo).

Now I've run out of Car Shampoo and my car's at the garage and I can't be arsed getting any.

Seeing as I'm going to clay, polish, gloss and wax then surely it won't matter if I wash his car first with some washing up liquid or maybe even baby shampoo will it? :undecided:

Just thought I'd check before I start.  :smiley:

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
Re: Fairy Liquid???
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2009, 11:43 »
Fairy is far too expensive, tesco value WUL FTW!

;)

Offline cossy

• Not said much yet
  • ED30 57 REG 5300 MILES!
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2009, 12:17 »
I know it strips all protection off before anyone has a go at me but here's the deal.  :laugh:

Gonna detail my mates Celica (which I doubt has ever seen a product more extravagent than shampoo).

Now I've run out of Car Shampoo and my car's at the garage and I can't be arsed getting any.

Seeing as I'm going to clay, polish, gloss and wax then surely it won't matter if I wash his car first with some washing up liquid or maybe even baby shampoo will it? :undecided:

Just thought I'd check before I start.  :smiley:

You are joking?

Well depends on the condition of your mates car, if it looks like a sunday roasting tin after six months use I expect fairy liquid will shift the grease easily!!

If you cant be arsed to get some proper shampoo why are you arsed to clay,polish & wax the car?

Detailing a car properly takes a good day of your time.

Dont be silly get some proper car shampoo its an important stage just like clay, polish & wax.

Using a quality shampoo will lift the dirt and prepare the surface for the next stages. Expect to pay £5-£10 for a quality item:laugh:
« Last Edit: 13 February 2009, 12:22 by cossy »

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #3 on: 13 February 2009, 12:20 »
 :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Offline Conker

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 13 February 2009, 12:51 »
I'm quite into car washing, buying decent car product and all that rubbish, but if your going to polish and properly wax it afterwards, I'll stick my neck out and say fairy liquid would be absolutely fine as a one-off.

Jeez, detailers spray solvent tar remover all over a car, but then say "fairy liquid is too harsh".  :huh:

Offline monzablue16v

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 13 February 2009, 13:35 »
Fairy has salt in it for starters and some harsh degreasers, it will rot the rubber seals and swirl the paint with the salts which also start rotting the paint. Degreasers such as tardis are paint safe and don't harm the paint. Fairy probably won't for one wash but is it worth it?

Probably got lost in the "Great Crash of 08

Offline cossy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 13 February 2009, 14:27 »
Listen to Monza blue, he is exactly correct.

A proper shampoo makes life so much easier if detailing a car with better results everytime. :grin:

Offline Conker

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2009, 14:43 »
The OP for whatever reason can't buy any decent shampoo for the time being  -  He's asking if using fairy liquid "once" will damage the paint. The answer is no.

Any marring [I doubt it would mark the paint anyway] will be polished out, and I would like to think his rubber seals would withstand a one bucket of soapy water without "rotting".

Don't get me wrong, used regularly fairy liquid will completely ruin your paintwork - I've seen it happen on a relatives car - but used once, and promptly followed by a polish and wax... It won't matter a jot.

Plus his hands will be fairy soft!
 :smiley:

Offline cossy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2009, 15:01 »
The OP for whatever reason can't buy any decent shampoo for the time being  -  He's asking if using fairy liquid "once" will damage the paint. The answer is no.

Any marring [I doubt it would mark the paint anyway] will be polished out, and I would like to think his rubber seals would withstand a one bucket of soapy water without "rotting".

Don't get me wrong, used regularly fairy liquid will completely ruin your paintwork - I've seen it happen on a relatives car - but used once, and promptly followed by a polish and wax... It won't matter a jot.

Plus his hands will be fairy soft!
 :smiley:

Ok, yes I understand your point of view that it probably wont do any harm once or twice.

But if your doing a whole detail which this guys says he is why start off with a crap product, personally I dont like spending my time and effort on detailing knowing some of the stages could be better.

For analogy on the subject

You wouldnt go to santa pod for a quarter mile having filled up at morrisons would you, no you would be putting in shell v power or similar because you want the best time posible. :wink:

« Last Edit: 13 February 2009, 15:05 by cossy »

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #9 on: 13 February 2009, 15:04 »
i allus used fairy liquid on our lasses corsa, never did it any harm, look

:wink: