Author Topic: 2 new little mods thats the start  (Read 3024 times)

Offline Grand Master Patch

• I live here
Re: 2 new little mods thats the start
« Reply #10 on: 16 January 2009, 21:50 »
I love that fact that you want to upgrade your power without upgrading your brakes and suspension first :laugh: Barmy bar steward.........

Offline (shakey)

• I live here
  • IS STILL SICK ABOUT CRASHING ME 1.8T AFTER 2 YEARS
« Reply #11 on: 16 January 2009, 21:58 »
I love that fact that you want to upgrade your power without upgrading your brakes and suspension first :laugh: Barmy bar steward.........

i have the suspension but not the brakes yet will hav to ge them very soon tho

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
« Reply #12 on: 16 January 2009, 22:02 »
I had mine re-mapped, but didn't do the brakes until a few months afterwards, and my suspension still isn't done.  Doesn't really make much difference to be honest.

I do LOVE my brakes now though, my old ones were clearly sha66ed!  Suspensions being done first half of February :afro:

Offline (shakey)

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 16 January 2009, 22:07 »
I had mine re-mapped, but didn't do the brakes until a few months afterwards, and my suspension still isn't done.  Doesn't really make much difference to be honest.

I do LOVE my brakes now though, my old ones were clearly sha66ed!  Suspensions being done first half of February :afro:

happy days had the suspension 4 the old golf b4 i crashed it so i am glad i never put them on other wise i wud of lost them aswell they r coilovers off v-maxx.

what brakes did you get did u uprate the disces aswell bob?

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 16 January 2009, 22:08 »
Upgraded the front to a 312mm set up.  Anni carriers, and 312mm Mintex pads and discs.  Car definitely stops a lot crisper.  the old brakes, when I slammed them on, used to make a horrible crunching noise, and the car would lurch when braking.  Now when I brake it's sharp, clean, and gives me more confidence.

Offline (shakey)

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 16 January 2009, 22:12 »
Upgraded the front to a 312mm set up.  Anni carriers, and 312mm Mintex pads and discs.  Car definitely stops a lot crisper.  the old brakes, when I slammed them on, used to make a horrible crunching noise, and the car would lurch when braking.  Now when I brake it's sharp, clean, and gives me more confidence.

good well have to get them i have seen a full set on ebay carriers discs pads and bolts for front and back dont knw what to do will have to see the cash fund first.

Offline Grand Master Patch

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 16 January 2009, 22:23 »

I don't mean to sound funny,but you are so far of the mark it's untrue.....The mk4 is known for it's crap handling even at 150bhp,if you think you can push anymore than that without sorting out the boat like body roll and understeer first your mad.

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #17 on: 16 January 2009, 22:53 »

I don't mean to sound funny,but you are so far of the mark it's untrue.....The mk4 is known for it's crap handling even at 150bhp,if you think you can push anymore than that without sorting out the boat like body roll and understeer first your mad.

I think his emphasis was more on the brakes, TBH. ;)  Although there is a tangible difference between the 312 & 288mm set-up, I personally believe the 288's with decent pads/discs are up to the job of dealing with 200/210 bhp.

You're right about the suspension, though - It would need sorting on 80 bhp, net alone 150!!!  :D
Current Car:- 2014 GTI PP manual, white.

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Car now for sale >>> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140614.0

Offline (shakey)

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 16 January 2009, 22:57 »

i hav the coilovers and drop links how hard is it to fit the drop links

I think his emphasis was more on the brakes, TBH. ;)  Although there is a tangible difference between the 312 & 288mm set-up, I personally believe the 288's with decent pads/discs are up to the job of dealing with 200/210 bhp.

You're right about the suspension, though - It would need sorting on 80 bhp, net alone 150!!!  :D

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 16 January 2009, 22:58 »
Indeed, I meant the brakes more.  But as for as for the suspension, unless you drive like a complete loon, then it really isn't an issue!  150bhp, or 200bhp, I'm still only going to go around the corner at the same speed.