Author Topic: Clubsport or R, your choice?  (Read 10425 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Clubsport or R, your choice?
« on: 01 February 2021, 18:43 »
With the prices not massively different at basic list, just out of interest, would you go for a mk8 Clubsport over an R or not?
I’m curious to know why. 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline JRG4

• Not said much yet
Re: Clubsport or R, your choice?
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2021, 18:47 »
For me its insurance. Being 22, no one will insure me on an R unless i pay silly money. The clubsport is a definite upgrade from my 1.4 scirocco  :grin:
Ordered - Golf GTI Clubsport. 19” Adelaide alloys, Rear view camera, Pure White.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2021, 18:53 »
I’m surprised at the insurance being less.
My Clubsport was dearer to insure than my M135i (which was also cheaper than the GTI TCR I had previously).
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2021, 19:07 »
With the caveat that I haven't driven either!

For the Mk7 CS over R anyday, this has also been the case with the 2x mk7.5 R owners who have driven my CS.

On to the mk8 and the R seems to have upped it's game with the more playful 4wd system, the main issue is that by the time you have specced the performance options on the R, you are around £50k ?

At that price point of the R you would want, the CS looks reasonable value?

I still think they are distinct models, so would have to drive both to see if the R was worth paying up for, it may well be this time?

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2021, 19:14 »
IF, I was considering a Mk8, it would be between these two. I think I would be more inclined to an R, partly as having had two GTIs now I'd want something at least a bit different. They have also finally made the interior more interesting on the R which is important and the extra traction off the line sounds good. Of all the reviews I've seen online so far only the R has had my full attention. But, my TCR is just too good overall for this to be a likelihood, what I really want is to move to a house with a decent garage so I can get a classic, something with some real character and just the things you really need for driving, none of the total nonsense that you get on every car now that we think we can't survive without. And two (or three) twin choke Webers!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2021, 19:46 »
If I was in the market for a Mk8 it’d be the Clubsport. I absolutely love my R and am glad I bought one but for me there’s just something about a gti. With the R I’d have to have the performance pack and then the price difference is much bigger. Ideally I’m hanging on for the Ed45.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 01 February 2021, 20:37 »
Not in the market for either but if was it would be the CS. More than enough performance for me and prefer the looks. Also like the AV seats. As an aside, colour choice on the R is limited though I guess more will be added.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7 on: 01 February 2021, 20:37 »
Of the two, I'd choose the clubby.

Mainly because the R would almost certainly end up with me paying bandit tax and I'm refusing to do that.

For me it was a choice of GTI with options or clubby without. My pocket couldn't stand both. I like my options :)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 01 February 2021, 21:21 »
For me it would be the Clubsport too. Partly due to cost but also I reckon the GTi looks better, certainly did in the 7.5. The Mk 8 R maybe looks better but there is still that special look of a GTi which the CS nails perfectly.
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline fuster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 01 February 2021, 22:00 »
Having previously owned a 7.5R, I went for the CS over the R because ;

- 300 bhp compared to 320 bhp is not a great difference
- Like the seats on the CS
- prefer the front end design of the CS (don’t mind Matt black plastic)
- wanted a silver colour

Factoring the cost, it was an easy choice for me.

Only thing I m not too keen on is the Richmond alloys (prefer the standard alloys on the R)