Author Topic: Trackday wheels  (Read 2668 times)

Offline Fruit

• Just got here
Trackday wheels
« on: 17 May 2005, 21:54 »
I was looking for some nice lightweight wheels for my road/trackday Mk2 GTi but most manufacturers seem to be quite shady about how light their wheels actualy are. Anyway being a mountain bike wheel builder I know how important lightness at the rim is, so just because they are light doesnt mean they have light rims and will spin well, but of course unsprung mass is importaint too.

So what would you reccomend for a Nice set of light and nimble wheels for road and track, without lacking strength of course, oh and I would prefer not to be paying for onubtanuim triple forged £3000 wheels preferably! At the mo im thinking OZ Superleggera.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: Trackday wheels
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2005, 13:06 »
I think OZ are the only obvious company to make a bit of noise about their wheels being strong and lightweight. I guess for most people in the market for wheels for their dub the only thing to care about is looks!

Demon Tweeks or Motorsportworld would probably be able to give more help :)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Stu.750

• I live here
  • MMMMMMM Rust my favourite
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2005, 09:45 »
The OZ super leggas are nice light wheels , try team dynamics too they do some light wheels for motor sport , and they have never been to expensive , im going down the G60 steels route for my track car just because they are cheap and if i damage one it wont cost a million pounds to sort , plus steels are pretty light compaired to some alloys  :huh:

Fielder5757

« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2005, 01:18 »
Yup, ive got my car sitting on some OZ hydras. there not as light as the superturismo or superlegga counterparts but there still very strong and very light alloys. After having my steering worked on a few months back the macanic commented on how light the wheels were.

Offline Golfboy Chris

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2005, 21:06 »
no offense meant but for the sort of spec cars you're talking about it's not really worth going into unsprung mass as it won't be noticeable.

if you're still determined.. have a look at the likes of... dymag and speedline.

Click pic for website