Author Topic: minimum post before trading  (Read 6296 times)

Offline troublestarter

• I live here
Re: minimum post before trading
« Reply #20 on: 18 February 2010, 23:49 »
on one forum i use you must have a minimum of 50 posts and be registered for 3 months
www.awesomeautomotive.co.uk<br />mobile vehicle security & audio fitting service<br />insurance accredited

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 19 February 2010, 16:26 »
Not really sure there is a great way around this other than the old 'buyer beware'.

If you make it so that you have to reach a certain number of posts before you can post an advert then the scammer will just do that. If you make it too high then the classifieds will be dead - for example, 15k members have not even reached 10 posts!

If you introduce a feedback scheme (assuming it is even possible) you can then fake that - open multiple accounts and +1 each other. So I can't see how that helps and perhaps even provides a false view of trust!

If you look at this thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=144524.0 and I don't mean to pick on the last poster exactly but even after people have said in the thread it is a scammer, plus the signature on the scammer account, a user is still asking about the 'sale'.

Hiding the classifieds until you reach 10 posts for example, will mean that a very limited audience can then see the items for sale.

No easy answer!
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 20 February 2010, 00:13 »

No easy answer!

Yes there is:

Not really sure there is a great way around this other than the old 'buyer beware'.

:wink:

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
« Reply #23 on: 20 February 2010, 09:07 »
I will only buy from members I know OR collect the item if near enough / meet them at a show etc.

Only time i would take a risk is on a low a value item for say £10.

Just my 2p  :smiley:

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #24 on: 25 February 2010, 00:03 »
Don't allow sub-89ers to buy anything from people selling on the forum.

That should thin out the victims pretty quick  :grin:.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #25 on: 21 April 2010, 12:13 »
Ive not read evrythind said but i think this is a good idea, I'd say a minimum of at least 100posts before anyone can sell. That way people can read where and what the person has been posting and how active they are on the forum to actually see if they are an enthusiast or not  :smiley:

Mk7 Golf GTI Clubsport S Tornado Red - on the way!
Mk4 Golf R32 Grey Anthracite Pearl Effect
Mk4 Golf GTI 2.slow Yellow Colour Concept

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #26 on: 21 April 2010, 14:23 »
Ive not read evrythind said but i think this is a good idea, I'd say a minimum of at least 100posts before anyone can sell. That way people can read where and what the person has been posting and how active they are on the forum to actually see if they are an enthusiast or not  :smiley:

Many of the sellers on here come here purely to sell and are genuine, by introducing a minimum post count of 100 it'll deter potential sellers away from the site, and it's a big section of the site to risk losing (mainly the site users will dip out more than anything).

It also wouldn't be hard for scammers to post randomly and sound enthusiastic if it means they can make a quick buck.

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #27 on: 21 April 2010, 14:39 »
ye i supose thats a fair point, it wouldn't be hard for them to post randomly but may but first time scammers off and mabey deter them to other site (not saying thats right but there are a lot of users on here compaired to smaller forums)

Mk7 Golf GTI Clubsport S Tornado Red - on the way!
Mk4 Golf R32 Grey Anthracite Pearl Effect
Mk4 Golf GTI 2.slow Yellow Colour Concept