Author Topic: Amp install on 52 plate tdi with standard stereo  (Read 2224 times)

Offline 3dw4rd5

• Just got here
  • non bio
Amp install on 52 plate tdi with standard stereo
« on: 28 December 2011, 02:56 »
Hi! I am new to this forum and golf gt tdi's in general so please go easy on me  :grin:

I've had a few sporty motors over the years and swapped a 280bhp twin turbo Subaru Legacy GT for the golf (was getting 17 mpg with the scooby  :shocked: now getting 55+ with the golf  :grin:) and owned a ibiza gti a few years ago.

So thanks for letting me join and prepare yourselves for many a question.

1st up is i have a few amp and subs sitting around doing nothing so i'd like to put one in the boot. I have the standard stereo installed and i wonder a) if it is possible, b) if its worth it and c) are there any guides that will take me through the steps in getting it done.

Many thanks in advance!

chewy aka 3dw4rd5  :laugh:

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
Re: Amp install on 52 plate tdi with standard stereo
« Reply #1 on: 28 December 2011, 14:38 »
Check out the audio section. Loads of guides in there...I haven't a scooby when it comes to amps/speakers etc. There are a some good guides I think though.

I think with stereos they are pretty standard no matter what the engine so don't be afraid to ask around in other sections  :wink:

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 28 December 2011, 15:12 »
upgrade the head unit would be easier, you can put a sub and amp in with standard headunit but wownt get anywere near as good as if you upgrade.

think there is an adaptor you can buy which gives you an sub output from your head unit then its pretty streight forward power to the amp, and earth the amp, rca cables from headunit to amp and then wire in the sub to the amp outputs. however im not sure if its the mk4 or the mk5 you could get the adaptor for, the other option is to use an amp to power front and back speakers then a seperate amp to power sub using the speaker outputs, but as said ide just upgrade cause the standard head unit isnt that good, can pick up a reasonable head unit for less than £100 now and that should have a sub output so then its just plug and play no faffing around with adaptors ect.

Offline 3dw4rd5

• Just got here
  • non bio
« Reply #3 on: 30 December 2011, 07:32 »
upgrade the head unit would be easier, you can put a sub and amp in with standard headunit but wownt get anywere near as good as if you upgrade.

think there is an adaptor you can buy which gives you an sub output from your head unit then its pretty streight forward power to the amp, and earth the amp, rca cables from headunit to amp and then wire in the sub to the amp outputs. however im not sure if its the mk4 or the mk5 you could get the adaptor for, the other option is to use an amp to power front and back speakers then a seperate amp to power sub using the speaker outputs, but as said ide just upgrade cause the standard head unit isnt that good, can pick up a reasonable head unit for less than £100 now and that should have a sub output so then its just plug and play no faffing around with adaptors ect.

Check out the audio section. Loads of guides in there...I haven't a scooby when it comes to amps/speakers etc. There are a some good guides I think though.

I think with stereos they are pretty standard no matter what the engine so don't be afraid to ask around in other sections  :wink:

Cheers lads.  :cool:
I'll pull the head unit out and see the state of play with regard to pre amp outs. Failing that I'll replace it.  :smiley:
All the best for the new year!

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...