Author Topic: MK4 Golf. I want to change stereo to double din setup.  (Read 7156 times)

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
I spent ages using the search feature but could only locate a post regarding a Mk5, hence the questions below.

As the headline suggests, I would like to fit a more modern looking stereo system to my car. To save me ripping everything out and discovering that it can't be done, has anyone tried it and been happy with the result?

ATM my vehicle has the Gamma set up, radio and CD player with the climate control unit on the bottom. If it's possible to fit a double din cage, I assume I will need some type of adapter for the wiring loom...anyone have the answers?

Thanks

Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: MK4 Golf. I want to change stereo to double din setup.
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2020, 14:41 »
That's weird, I just found a similar thread from 4 years ago where you were discussing the same thing.

Has been done so often, search MK4 golf double din on Google for lots of images and install videos.

You need an ISO wiring adapter, trim surround and possibly an aerial adapter.

The head unit will likely come with a double din mounting frame, if not, you need one of those.

Check out autoleads, connects2 for parts. Think Halfords might even have a section on install adapters.
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2020, 17:38 »
Thanks jv...I also checked out my original post and your very helpful reply. What I was hoping for was someone on here who has been down that track and maybe had some helpful tips. I've been trawling on YT and come across some bits and bobs, but nothing really detailed.

Your response was appreciated back then and so it is now.

:smiley:
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2020, 17:18 »
Probably what would work for me in a perfect world, would be for some helpful soul to jump up and say..."I've got the perfect set up on a shelf in my garage...stripped out of a car, long gone, but was working really well at the time".

I will listen to, and respond to anyone who cares to answer.

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 02 February 2020, 02:18 »
Many thanks mate...much food for thought.