Author Topic: Water drain hose fallen off?  (Read 1724 times)

Offline watercool

• Not said much yet
Water drain hose fallen off?
« on: 18 October 2020, 13:27 »
I'm trying to fix my leaky Golf (leak in passenger side) so took my bumper off to silicone around that flap on the passenger side... when I took the bumper off this hose fell out (from the drivers side) but I don't know where it's come from?!

Any help much appreciated because winter is coming and my Golf is soggy.

Offline dervdave

• Not said much yet
Re: Water drain hose fallen off?
« Reply #1 on: 18 October 2020, 13:30 »
Inside the fuel flap, overfill drain
2016 GTD

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #2 on: 18 October 2020, 14:50 »
It pushes into the bottom of the fuel filler rubber surround. Flanged end (bottom of photo) stays in the filler side
  It simply lies on the carpet wheel arch trim and exits / sticks out at the rear of the trim.
Before refitting it clean it out as they normally block with muck.  :wink:
« Last Edit: 18 October 2020, 14:53 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline watercool

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 19 October 2020, 17:39 »
Oh thanks so much  :laugh:
The flanged end should have a hole in it shouldn't it? It's completely blocked.

Found more about it here too!
https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/22567-pipe-fallen-off/

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #4 on: 19 October 2020, 18:29 »
Yes should be clear, clogs up with muck. Poke something in it and maybe put it in a bucket full of very hot water and it will probably clean the rest out. I know were the GTI one goes as ive had the arch lining out before when the car was new.
I had to refit my leon one a few months back when i tried to clear it and poked it through into the arch.  Oops, so i did the above and removed it and cleaned it then refitted it. The leon is clipped at the bottom but the golf one just lies there.
When it blocks up under the fuel cap gets dirt and fuel in and then you can end up with fuel dirty marks down the bodywork below the fuel filler flap.
« Last Edit: 19 October 2020, 18:33 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Borbus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 19 October 2020, 20:45 »
Funnily enough... When I bought my GTI, the first time I filled it up I noticed behind the fuel door was completely filthy. I cleaned it out a bit and got a new fuel cap. Was just cleaning it the other day and gave the inside of the door a bit of water thinking I don't want it to get dirty again. I noticed, as I have done before, the the way just sits there and thought what a crap design. Then all of a sudden it drains out! The pipe must have finally unblocked itself. I didn't even know it was there.
2010 Mk6 GTI