Author Topic: Safe products for SiRamik ATP coating.  (Read 3235 times)

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
Safe products for SiRamik ATP coating.
« on: 18 July 2018, 12:12 »
Can anyone please give me advice on shampoos and quick detailer spray that would be safe to use on a car coated with SiRamik ATP?

The product seems to be marketed by Siramik Glasscoat but their website provides no background information about the company, no email, address or telephone numbers or who runs it apart from mentioning someone called 'Russell'.

Help please.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: Safe products for SiRamik ATP coating.
« Reply #1 on: 18 July 2018, 12:19 »
This'll be your Russell http://reflectology.co.uk/
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2018, 14:21 »
Thank you for the link.

Any advice on shampoos and QD that are non siramik brand?

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2018, 16:08 »
You would have thought that any coating designed to repel contaminants would be able to withstand shampoo and qd.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2018, 16:53 »
You would have thought that any coating designed to repel contaminants would be able to withstand shampoo and qd.

I would have thought so as well.
However I have been advised (elsewhere) to only use the siramik products which are of limited availability and quite expensive :whistle: (don't y'know).

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 18 July 2018, 18:37 »

I would have thought so as well.
However I have been advised (elsewhere) to only use the siramik products which are of limited availability and quite expensive :whistle: (don't y'know).

Sounds like marketing speak.

Look for shampoos etc designed to complement glass/ceramic/nano coatings, i.e similar chemical base (SiO2).  Look at Gtechniq, Gyeon, Sonax etc offerings. 
« Last Edit: 18 July 2018, 18:39 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 18 July 2018, 19:49 »
Look for shampoos etc designed to complement glass/ceramic/nano coatings, i.e similar chemical base (SiO2).  Look at Gtechniq, Gyeon, Sonax etc offerings.

I can thoroughly recommend the Gtechniq, it feels like the paintwork is well lubricated while washing and even smells rather nice.

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/gtechniq-g-wash-shampoo

You can get it in smaller containers if you want to try it without commiting too much :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 18 July 2018, 20:34 »
Thanks guys.
I was hoping I could buy something more easily available ie from Halfords rather than go online.

Any suggestions.

Have a full Autogleam kit on hand anyone know if their shampoo would suitable?

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 19 July 2018, 08:13 »
I highly rate Autoglym shampoo, although I find it's best to mix it a little stronger than they suggest. However, when I pay £40 for a 25 litre container that will last over 2 years, I can afford to be a bit more liberal with it.

I think with many detailing products, they are answers to questions that no one had even asked. Marketing speak as Rebecca suggested.
« Last Edit: 19 July 2018, 08:15 by dubber36 »

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 19 July 2018, 10:19 »
I highly rate Autoglym shampoo, although I find it's best to mix it a little stronger than they suggest. However, when I pay £40 for a 25 litre container that will last over 2 years, I can afford to be a bit more liberal with it.

I think with many detailing products, they are answers to questions that no one had even asked. Marketing speak as Rebecca suggested.

Very many thanks for that info dubber your a star!
Im going to order a pressure washer and foam lance today and will use Autogleam as a follow up.

I think we don't ask questions because we fall in love with the gloss and sweet talk (I know I did).
But not any more. Now I want hard facts and supporting scientific evidence.
Ask a few simple questions and its like getting blood from a stone, the sheer lack of solid information on ceramic coatings has got me asking why not provide it if the product is so wonderful??
Yes there is all the marketing blurb on hardness, clarity, cross bonding, nano whatever, but non of it has substance eg; what do the products actually contain, where are they made, what are the dangers if any, where is the science to support claims etc. Are not some of these questions obligatory under the Law?

So I have spent days investigating ceramic coatings (and Im not finished yet)!
The result has been a lot of information on the subject, Ive even unearthed a company that produces the stuff for resellers.

This guy is halfway around the world but well worth reading https://ecowashhawaii.com/the-truth-about-ceramic-coatings/