Author Topic: Insurance for 21year olds 1968 vs 2016 on  (Read 8567 times)

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
Insurance for 21year olds 1968 vs 2016 on
« on: 21 October 2016, 08:46 »
My first 'car' after passing my test was a mini van which cost £60 and £12 to insure TPFT

3 accidents in my first six weeks and I had learnt some serious lessons;
1) take corners slower
2) pay the other guy cash for back-ending him
3) dont look at a girls mini skirt while pulling away from lights that haven't changed
4) give yourself more time to stop on a slushy road especially when the car infront is a lorry
5) where the scrap dealers of cars are located
6) the most important, never tell your insurance company anything, settle all dinks and bumps personally.

For first speedster, a 1275 Cooper S my TPFT insurance with zero claims was £27 (a full weeks wages)
When I asked my broker why the premium was so high his reply was "its like giving a machine gun to a baby"!!!!

A ticket for dodgy tyres and turning when I shouldnt have, plus a few speeding tickets and I could afford to buy a new S and the essential fully comp insurance (weeks wages x 2)

Fast forward to todays premiums and Im paying 2/3 of a weeks wages for FC on a new Golf 2.0 TDI

All in all insurance companies seem to be quite fair with their premiums if your accident free, dont drink, and always drive under the speed limit  :whistle:.

The problem for the younger generation is that our roads are far more congested and the machine gun has more and bigger bullets.  :laugh:

Whats are your experiences?

« Last Edit: 21 October 2016, 08:50 by Mike J »

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Insurance for 21year olds 1968 vs 2016 on
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2016, 13:52 »
First car I insured was at 18. Mk2 golf 1.6 driver. Fc 1000

Now im 25 I have a 1.8gl mk2 all mods declared. 3 points

Insurance is insurance. Problem I had is renewal when they wanted double and such.
Then you get stung by another company.

At the moment ive got a v6 tdi a4 on my policy instead of my golf and that cost me 70 more and its roughly 100bhp more than the golf

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: Insurance for 21year olds 1968 vs 2016 on
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2016, 17:52 »
Good lessons Mike :grin:

Thing is, you have to go through them yourself as zero chance of listening to anyone else at that age  :whistle:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity