Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2740217 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #8390 on: 17 May 2018, 17:42 »
I've had my 7.5 pp gti since 1st March and all this time I have been pining for a drive to enjoy its performance. Driving around the Cheltenham, Gloucester, Evesham area does not seem to cut it.

However at the weekend on my drive to a rendez-vous near Merthyr Tydfil I was confronted by the closure of the Heads of the Valley Road, the A465, just west of Abergavenny. The Road Gods had, in their omnipotence, simply closed this major arterial road. A diversion was not obvious and I kept switching between the built-in nav and Google Maps which quickly became unusable when the mobile signal was lost. And I was going to be late.

Now it is a lesson for life that you must quieten the negative emotions within in order to enjoy the here and now. I'm not sure I really managed to achieve this, and looking at the map now the obvious diversion should have been along the A40, but the route I ended up taking was a mountainous pass, probably the A4246.

At last, the pulling power from low revs, the no-understeer of the limit-slip front diff and the huge power margin of the free revving engine came to elevate me emotionally and physically. It was a brief but wonderful experience of what my Golf is really for.

I shall now put up with the somewhat harsh ride over the appalling road surfaces of Gloucestershire, the worry of leaving a trophy car in a Gloucester public car park and the jibes of friends who tell me that I am too old to have a mid-life crisis, and hope that one day soon I will find myself again on a deserted twisty mountain pass where the car will come into its own.

Do we have, on this forum, a list of nice roads well suited to this sort of thing?
Great post, and one that probably rings true with a lot of GTI owners.
It certainly does with me :smiley:

+1 for me. An excellent post and I'm glad you have managed to really enjoy exploiting the potential. I love driving mine :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline carlt69

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8391 on: 17 May 2018, 18:43 »
I polished my exhaust tips!

The exciting life I lead  :grin: :laugh:
MK8 GTi in Moonstone Grey

Offline JamesR27

• Here all the time
« Reply #8392 on: 17 May 2018, 19:24 »
I think I ended up on the same diversion earlier in the year which one of the last trips I did in my GTI. It was a great send off just wish it had not been rubbish winter weather
MK 7.5 R Pure White, Pretoria Silver, DCC, Rear Camera.
Gone - MK 7 GTI Carbon Grey, Rear Camera, Service Pack.
Gone - MK 6 GTI  Reflex Silver, Monza Shadows, RCD 510, Rear Camera, Bluetooth, Tyre Pressure Sensor, Xenons Convenience pack, Service Pack :)
Gone - MK 5 GTI Reflex Silver, Monza II 18's, Luxury Pack, Mulitchanger

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #8393 on: 17 May 2018, 20:02 »
Golf GTI roads? Come to Scotland. Spoilt for choice. And quiet.
PS : bring a woolly jumper.
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #8394 on: 17 May 2018, 20:23 »
Roads to and from the isle of Skye are fantastic roads.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #8395 on: 18 May 2018, 07:35 »
Got a Golf R.... :D :D :D :D

The repair to my wing will take a little longer than first thought, as they want to have a specific guy do the painting and he's on holiday until Monday, so looks like I'll get the GTI back towards the end of next week. TBH, I'm glad they are taking this really seriously and want a perfect 1st time job done as that's all I will accept anyway.

So last night got a call to say they had a new car for me to run around in whilst mine was in - a 5 month old 5 door DSG Golf R - in deep black pearl, pretty well spec'd as well (Nav Pro, lane assist, 19" alloys, parking camera, keyless, DCC etc). Can;'t really complain as a courtesy car can I  ;D

Must say even though I'd only driven the GTI for a few days, the R does feel totally different. Sorta heavy and muscular (if you know what I mean). No where near opened it up as all I've done is driven to work, but very surprisingly, I thought when I arrived at work I'd check the MPG for a laugh (was expecting to see around 25 mpg), but to my surprise, it got 34.4 (according to the computer) - much better than my GTI which has only given my a best so far of 32.2 mpg (but then my car has less than 200 miles on it, and this has 10k, so well run in). Just shows, when not in a hurry, these R's can be quite frugal can't they (that was in normal mode BTW - not Eco)?

« Last Edit: 18 May 2018, 14:17 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #8396 on: 18 May 2018, 08:48 »
Must so even though I'd only driven the GTI for a few days, the R does feel totally different. Sorta heavy and muscular (if you know what I mean). No where near opened it up as all I've done is driven to work, but very surprisingly, I thought when I arrived at work I'd check the MPG for a laugh (was expecting to see around 25 mpg), but to my surprise, it got 34.4 (according to the computer) - much better than my GTI which has only given my a best so far of 32.2 mpg (but then my car has less than 200 miles on it, and this has 10k, so well run in). Just shows, when not in a hurry, these R's can be quite frugal can't they (that was in normal mode BTW - not Eco)?

LOL is it definitely the R and not an R Line?  :grin:

Seriously though, you'll at least get the chance to see if having the Nav Pro  would've been worth speccing or not.

Like you say though, good that they're taking the issue seriously rather than fobbing you off  :smiley:
7.5 GTD

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #8397 on: 18 May 2018, 09:36 »
^^^ Blimey! All I've had as a loan car was a bloody up! - and it was an auto, worst gearbox I've ever experienced by far :rolleyes: They must really value your custom.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #8398 on: 18 May 2018, 09:54 »
Must have been freewheeling downhill to get 34mpg in a morning commute in an R...

As an aside, I must say it looks very plain and ordinary in that colour and those wheels. Wouldn't give it a 2nd glance. Your GTI is a far better looker.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #8399 on: 18 May 2018, 10:05 »
^^^ Blimey! All I've had as a loan car was a bloody up! - and it was an auto, worst gearbox I've ever experienced by far :rolleyes: They must really value your custom.

My dealer has three of the four VAG brands on one site (no Skoda), so it’s always a bit of a lottery what you’ll get as a courtesy car. On one occasion I got an Audi TT but the initial excitement soon wore off, and I was glad when I got my own car back again. The TT was plagued by numerous creaks and rattles from the interior trim (so much for Audi premium build quality) and getting in and out wasn’t good for me with my dodgy back! On another occasion, they gave me the sales manager’s fully loaded mk7 Golf GTD; they had an ulterior motive though, as they were trying to get me to buy a new one! I didn’t get hooked in though. :grin:

Nice to have something a bit different to the usual up! or Polo though.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl