Author Topic: I declined a traffic light race, have I no balls?  (Read 3325 times)

Offline oliver07

• I live here
  • golf gti T 200BHP
Re: I declined a traffic light race, have I no balls?
« Reply #20 on: 04 November 2008, 18:39 »
Good choice to leave alone might have been -ick head never know what some are capable of :lipsrsealed:

Offline paz1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #21 on: 04 November 2008, 20:56 »
i owned a classic scooby before the golf i've got now and in my opinoin my golf which is slightly modified would'nt have a prayer against my old scooby alot of people say that there poor mans slowvo but belive me for little money on mods you can make a seriously fast car, the biggest problem i have with my golf is traction it just lights up the front tyres

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #22 on: 04 November 2008, 23:38 »
i owned a classic scooby before the golf i've got now and in my opinoin my golf which is slightly modified would'nt have a prayer against my old scooby alot of people say that there poor mans slowvo but belive me for little money on mods you can make a seriously fast car, the biggest problem i have with my golf is traction it just lights up the front tyres

:huh:, that's strange.  Have you re-mapped your Golf yet?? :undecided:  Yes, the scooby's are better in the wet due to the extra traction, it's a bit of an art feathering the throttle in a mapped Golf (1st & 2nd gear).  I don't have a problem with standard Scoobys - Even an STi didn't impress me that much, TBH.  Was your Scooby standard?
Current Car:- 2014 GTI PP manual, white.

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Car now for sale >>> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140614.0

Offline dobber

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 05 November 2008, 09:20 »
you'd be surprised how much of a run you would give it, most scoobys have a loud exhaust, filter and a dv just because they sound loud doesnt mean they are fast mate, have dusted a load of scoobies of late esp on motorway, jap cars torque figures are crap.

Remember:

BHP sells cars, torque wins races ;)

Well previously having a Civic Type-R, IntegraType-R (DC5) the statement of "BHP sells cars, torque wins races" doesnt really ring true for several reasons, the main one being weight!. I have a 1.8T GTi at present. In comparrison to the Honda's it feels VERY slow, sluggish and not very nimble. The Honda's are sharp, nimble and shed loads of power although you have to "drive it" to get the best out of it. Its horses for corses. In a drag race with a Golf vs Civic Type-R and both at the same BHP the Civic will leave the golf for dead. even worse round a circuit  :smiley:
I shall cleave you in twain with the Mighty Sword of Dobber. (Harry Enfield and Chums)

Offline paz1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 05 November 2008, 11:29 »
, that's strange.  Have you re-mapped your Golf yet??   Yes, the scooby's are better in the wet due to the extra traction, it's a bit of an art feathering the throttle in a mapped Golf (1st & 2nd gear).  I don't have a problem with standard Scoobys - Even an STi didn't impress me that much, TBH.  Was your Scooby standard?

i took the scooby from standard to around 350bhp and yes the golf has been re-mapped currently running about 200 bhp i think,
i just need to get used to not haveing 4 wheel drive i guess the scooby you could just nail it and go :grin:

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #25 on: 05 November 2008, 13:16 »
you'd be surprised how much of a run you would give it, most scoobys have a loud exhaust, filter and a dv just because they sound loud doesnt mean they are fast mate, have dusted a load of scoobies of late esp on motorway, jap cars torque figures are crap.

Remember:

Well previously having a Civic Type-R, IntegraType-R (DC5) the statement of "BHP sells cars, torque wins races" doesnt really ring true for several reasons, the main one being weight!. I have a 1.8T GTi at present. In comparrison to the Honda's it feels VERY slow, sluggish and not very nimble. The Honda's are sharp, nimble and shed loads of power although you have to "drive it" to get the best out of it. Its horses for corses. In a drag race with a Golf vs Civic Type-R and both at the same BHP the Civic will leave the golf for dead. even worse round a circuit  :smiley:

Yes, the CTR is the quicker car out the factory, although I found the steering to be really numb & it was a bit gutless 'til "VTECH-VILLE"!! :grin:  You really have to rev the nuts off it, LOL.  Saying that, you have to spend a fair few hundred on the Mk4 to get it in the same league, TBH  (Re-map, exhaust, filter, suspension, rear ARB etc.  BUT, I'd never swap my (modded) Golf for one.  :tongue:

Deffo horses for courses - Pro's & con's for each!!  :afro:

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #26 on: 05 November 2008, 13:17 »
, that's strange.  Have you re-mapped your Golf yet??   Yes, the scooby's are better in the wet due to the extra traction, it's a bit of an art feathering the throttle in a mapped Golf (1st & 2nd gear).  I don't have a problem with standard Scoobys - Even an STi didn't impress me that much, TBH.  Was your Scooby standard?

i took the scooby from standard to around 350bhp and yes the golf has been re-mapped currently running about 200 bhp i think,
i just need to get used to not haveing 4 wheel drive i guess the scooby you could just nail it and go :grin:

Yes, I'd think I notice coming down from 350 bhp to 200!!  :grin:

kells

« Reply #27 on: 05 November 2008, 13:26 »

Remember:

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

so wrong.... jap cars rule when it comes to performance.. my little oldskool swift gti (160BHP) absolutly eats modded golf turbos and VR6's etc and up to 100 gives scoobys a run for their money, so much fun :laugh:
iv had a few golfs, various models and non have been anything close to the swifts performance, its a little animal..im not for one minute saying it will beat any golf as theirs always exeptions (anything can be made stupidly fast if you throw away HUGE amounts of cash at it)

my money would be on a imprezza againt a golf T anyday, and the handling too :cool:, your golf must be VERY very very fast to dust a scooby on top end

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
« Reply #28 on: 05 November 2008, 21:26 »
, that's strange.  Have you re-mapped your Golf yet??   Yes, the scooby's are better in the wet due to the extra traction, it's a bit of an art feathering the throttle in a mapped Golf (1st & 2nd gear).  I don't have a problem with standard Scoobys - Even an STi didn't impress me that much, TBH.  Was your Scooby standard?

Off the line the Golf would take an early lead, as two wheel drive gets the power down more quickly than four wheel drive.  Of course once the power is grounded it's a different story  :smiley: