Author Topic: GTi dashboard lights  (Read 3761 times)

Offline truckerash

• Not said much yet
GTi dashboard lights
« on: 24 December 2013, 08:49 »
Is this the early stages of dementure ? :undecided:

I'm driving along in normal daylight. NO lights on. Suddenly it goes all dull outside and I think, hang on a minute, I can't see the speedo or rev counter properly, they are not lit up, but the computer display is.
So I put the lights on and hey presto, speedo/rev counter light up.....

Should the speedo/rev counter be lit up (with computer display) when there are NO lights on ?

I've only had the car 2 years  :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: 

1st ever GTI. awesome!.....and getting better all the time!

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
Re: GTi dashboard lights
« Reply #1 on: 24 December 2013, 09:09 »
Mine isn't lit up. Although I have my DRL's disabled.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline Neil gti

• I live here
  • She's gone but never forgotten
« Reply #2 on: 24 December 2013, 09:42 »
Speedo lights etc only come on with the headlights not the Drls
I always leave my light switch on auto, if it's dull outside the lights and speedo lights will come on automatically  :wink:

Mk6 Gti Gone but not forgtten
Loving the 7R

Offline mwad gti

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 24 December 2013, 10:29 »
My speedo/rev counter always light up regardless of whether the headlights are on or not.
My dials light up as soon as key turns on ignition.
Candy White 3 dr Manual 2012 GTi. Bought new.
DAB, Dynaudio, Kenwood Head Unit Upgrade, Private Plate,
Full Leather and Heated Seats
18" Shadow Monzas, luxury pack.
Colour coded side skirts and gloss black diffuser.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 24 December 2013, 11:33 »
My dials only light up when headlights are on.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 24 December 2013, 18:20 »
No, the OP isn't in the early stages of dememture. The speedo and rev counter should be illuminated in bright, daylight conditions without the lights being turned on. In dull / poor natural light conditions, the dashboard illumination should dim automatically, so only the needles will be illuminated; assume this is what the OP is describing. This is a prompt to switch on your lights, because of low light levels outside, and so you can be seen by approaching and following road users, as well as being able to see where you're going.

This is covered under 'Instrument Cluster Lighting' on page 105 the owners manual for 2012 model year GTI and GTD models.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 25 December 2013, 11:56 »
Well I never knew that. Mine are always on AUTO, so more often than not the lights will come on when they should anyway. It's very rare that I've had to turn the lights on manually because the car hasn't done it for me.

It's no bad thing tho'. My old Mk1 Leon Cupra had its dashboard lights illuminated all the time. I once drove for several miles in the dark without realising that I had no lights on. :embarrassed:
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Obbzi

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 25 December 2013, 23:54 »
My headlights are always on :angry: really annoying feature of the xenons wish the sidelights could be set as DRLs instead if main beam :angry:
2008 R32 DBP gone. 2008 GT TDI going 2009 GTI coming soon!

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #8 on: 26 December 2013, 00:00 »
You can turn them off with vagcom mine are off I got sick of the looks from people in the summer bright sunshine and hes got his lights on look...

Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 26 December 2013, 10:45 »
Can't you turn early xenon DRL's off with the indicator down, headlight flash, blah blah blah, like you can with other early halogen cars?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.