Author Topic: MK1 Rewire Help  (Read 17423 times)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
MK1 Rewire Help
« on: 27 March 2010, 17:05 »
Ok so you may have had a peak at my project page here http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=121364.0

Sorry this is a BIG post....  :sad:

Wondered if anyone could help me identify where the following are supposed to connect to.  I believe some of these wires connect one loom to another for example:
An engine loom wire to a dash loom wire for an instrument or warning light etc.  One or two of them may have their own connection at the back of the fusebox but i'm not sure where???

The following come from the Engine loom, the same loom with the large white fusebox connection:

Two Red and White wires on one White connector

Brown and White wire with Red connector

Green and Black wire with White Connector

Two Green and White and Two Red and Black wires with a White double connector

These next wires are on the dash loom, the same loom that has the large Red and Blue fusebox connections:

Solid Yellow wire with white connector

Solid Black wire with white connector (I believe this is for the fuel pump and goes to the back of the fusebox, just not sure where) :sad:

Blue and Brown wire and Grey and Green wire into single white connector

I know where this next one goes in the back of the fusebox but this Black double connector, should there be another wire in it other than the Grey and Yellow one pictured??

« Last Edit: 14 April 2010, 22:22 by SoundillusioN »

Offline kraM

• Here all the time
  • It's not the speed, it's the sudden stops...
The red wires go into one of the many 12v out-puts at the back of the fuse box,

The black/green wire I am faily sure is a rev counter/coil wire

There will be the other side of that red plug for the brown/white wire

Blue and brown may be interior lighting

Dunno about the others, but the black wire may do something at the back of the car, but I am faily sure a red/yellow wire is the fuel pump colours.

Or look on line and get the orignal type haynes explains for your model (the new ones are sh!te) buy a packet of biscuits and teabags and learn how to read their wiring diagrams, then it will all become clear, young sparrow.

Cheers

kraM

Ps, buy a decent fire-extinguisher... :wink:
It's not the speed... it's the sudden stops...

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
1. this is most likly the power feed for the WUR, this needs a fuel pump live

2. earth

3. oil temp sensor wire

4. feed from the 5th inj (green/white) which is unused, and another for the 5th inj themoswitch, which needs a starter cranking live. you will likely find a matching red/black wire which plugs into this side of the 2 pin plug. Check plug C pin 18 for a single spade wire

5. think this is for the dim dip, leave it disconnected

6. ignition live feed for the hadbrake warning switch I think

7. may be a lights on feed?

8. might be for rear fog light?

follow where the wires go if they run to fusebox pins then check the fusebox faq. you want the section for the pre-90 MK2 Golf :)
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=44637.0
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
The red wires go into one of the many 12v out-puts at the back of the fuse box,

The black/green wire I am faily sure is a rev counter/coil wire

There will be the other side of that red plug for the brown/white wire

Blue and brown may be interior lighting

Dunno about the others, but the black wire may do something at the back of the car, but I am faily sure a red/yellow wire is the fuel pump colours.

Or look on line and get the orignal type haynes explains for your model (the new ones are sh!te) buy a packet of biscuits and teabags and learn how to read their wiring diagrams, then it will all become clear, young sparrow.

Cheers

kraM

Ps, buy a decent fire-extinguisher... :wink:

Thanks for the reply, I'm starting to get sick of all the tea and biscuits now, must be better than all the fags i smoke at the moment though!!!   

Defo buying a fire extinguisher for the car when i'm ready to trial stuff!!!!!

I have no solid red wires in this post, only red and white and red and black, don't think these are just looking for a live feed??

Between your reply, rubjonny's and anyone else that can help, i'm sure i'll get there..  :smiley:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
Thanks mate, i thought i was going to be OK as i found a couple of connectos that link one loom to another but these last few have been a right pain!!  added to your reply below (sorry)  :embarassed:

1. this is most likly the power feed for the WUR, this needs a fuel pump live
I'm guessing that this needs to connect to a live coming from the pump?? Out of curiosity, why are there 2 wires in one conector? why didnt they just use one?

2. earth
I know that solid brown is earth and in most cases go to the crowns but this one is brown and white.  with that red connector it makes me think its for something else

3. oil temp sensor wire
Im guessing this must link to something on the dash loom?

4. feed from the 5th inj (green/white) which is unused, and another for the 5th inj themoswitch, which needs a starter cranking live. you will likely find a matching red/black wire which plugs into this side of the 2 pin plug. Check plug C pin 18 for a single spade wire
This could be an easy fix then thanks.

5. think this is for the dim dip, leave it disconnected
whats this then, for countries that require DRL?

6. ignition live feed for the hadbrake warning switch I think
Makes sense, i think i have a solid black coming from the handbrake now you mention it

7. may be a lights on feed?
Just not sure where to plug it in  :embarassed:

8. might be for rear fog light?
If there isn't meant to be a second wire in the connector i'll just plug it in the back of the fuse box where it belongs.

follow where the wires go if they run to fusebox pins then check the fusebox faq. you want the section for the pre-90 MK2 Golf :)
none of these wires run to the fusebox pins (if you mean the pins of the main plugs).  All these wires are at the fusbox end of the looms though.  Thanks for pointing me to in the direction of the fusebox FAQ!!!

Thanks again!  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
1. you should have a spare spade plug for this on the rear wiring loom plug, E/14. The reason it has 2 wires is probably there are 2 components in the engien bay that connect to it, possibly the IAV or something :)

2. brown/white are almost always earths as well, usually for temp sensors. Ideally go back to the engine side and look for any brown/white wires, then use a multimeter to check for continuity. Then you'll know exactly what it is for ;)

3. indeed, there will be a green/black spade plug coming off the dash wiring loom somewhere for it

5. most euro spec MK1/2 have this, all it does is bring the dipped beam on dimly with the lights. not required by law or MOT :)
however thinking on it again, I recon its actually an oil pressure switch wire, I remember now that I had the same behind my dash. You should find a matching spade plug coming off the dash loom, or to pin D/1 or D/21 on the fusebox

7. if in doubt, leave it unplugged! This one looks like its coming from the fusebox plug in the same picture?

8. I would plug it in yeah, then check everything works :)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
Thanks for the above mate... i will hopefully have some time to have a look over the weekend if the missus doesnt make me do too much stuff to the garden!  I'll let you know how I get on and hopefully I will be able to add some more positive stuff to the project page!!!!

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
Ok shes all wired for engine and dash, just not wired lights up yet... problem is is wont start!  it does crank though, fuel pump doesnt prime.  i was really scared of putting the battery pos on but no dramas... going through the previous list here i found the following.

1.  found matching spade to plug in.

2.  plugged into earth crown

3.  still disconnected as cannot find a matching spade anywhere!

4.  still disconected as also cant find anything left to go into it.

5.  left disconnected as advised

6.  plugged into top right of fusebox as this is where it is plugged in on pictures shown on mk1golf.org

7.  still disconnected, cannot find anything for it?

do you know why my fuel pump wont run.  i can hear relay click on for a couple of seconds as it should?

Offline kraM

• Here all the time
  • It's not the speed, it's the sudden stops...
Has the red/yellow wire feed to the pump become un-plugged?  As after I had re-wired mine, half the 'kin plugs fell apart after I had twisted the fuse box back into the hole...

kraM
It's not the speed... it's the sudden stops...

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
pop the fuel pump relay out, and run a chunky wire between the 2 large sockets, the pump should then run. if it does, you know the issue is the relay, or the wiring for it.  what relay is it by the way?