Author Topic: HOW TO: Repair your troublesome 1.6/1.8 Pierburg 2e2 Carb  (Read 36556 times)

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Copied from the Garage section, in case anyone misses it :) Here is a list of Pierburg components and troubleshooting tips:

TTV & idle over run valve:
These should both get 12v when the ignition is on, and there should be an audiable 'click' from the engine bay when the key is turned.

3/4 Point Unit:
When engine is off, should be extended to 14.5mm. When engine is started should retract to about 8.5mm after a varying delay, depending on temperature.

Pull Down Unit:
When engine is running, you should be able to close the choke flab by hand easily until the last 5mm or travel, then resistance should be felt. If not the pulldown unit is defective or incorrectly adjusted (it has a small screw on the end of the plastic lever, but this should not need to be adjusted)

Inlet manifold preheater:
Located at the bottom of the inlet manifold, looks like a hedgehog. The electrical connection is at the back of the engine bay behind the carb, should get 12v when engine is cold, should switch off when engine has warmed up. (controlled by grey temperature sender, see below)

Vacumm Unit Stage 2:
This opens the second throttle butterfly when you have your foot down, not had a problem with this myself but I imagine sympoms for a failed unit would be no power under full throttle.

Waxstat, also known as 'Expansion Element':
Helps control the idle untill the autochoke switches off completely. Is full of wax which is heated by coolant. As the wax expands a pin exends from the unit pressing a lever which brings the idle down. Check by throwing into a bowl of hot water, the pin should extend. This has been known to fix dodgy units as it 'resets' the wax apparently!

Autochoke:
Should get 12v with the ignition on & engine is cold, should switch off when the engine is up to temp. (controlled by the red sender, see below)
The autochoke should pass current, test by placing one prong of a multimeter on the plug, and the other on the autochoke housing.
You can check the autochoke heater visually by removing it and checking the heater spring around the outside of the unit, looks like the kind of spring you find in a ball point pen. When refitting, align the mark on the housing with the notch on the choke.

Temperature Senders:
At the front of the engine block there are 2 temperature senders, red & grey. The red sender controlls the autochoke, the grey controls the inlet manifold preheater. When the engine is cold these should pass current, when the engine has warmed up they should stop passing current. You can test units from the scrap yard by putting them in a tray filled with boiling water (just immerse the metal bit at the bottom!) to make sure they switch off correctly.

Last but by no means least, the inlet manifold coolant channel o'ring, the o'ring degrades over time eventually blocking the coolant channel completely. Often overlooked this is key to having a 2e2 carb that actually works! If this coolant channel is blocked expect poor running when cold, smoking, petrol smells, engine overruns and having the engine rev up to 1.5k+ at random until the engine is VERY hot.

Before you start, MAKE SURE you can reach ALL 6 bolts on the inlet, the third one from the right is wedged between the inlet and exhaust manifolds and is tricky to get to. You need a long thin extension bit to get them off, its tricky but once you've done it you'll never forget how :grin:

You'll need a new gasket and the o'ring, part 32 in the diagram below.

026 129 717 D - Gasket - 5.32+VAT
035 121 171 C - o'ring - 2.70+VAT

First take the carb off:
Remove the airbox
Remove the fuel line from the carb
unplug the 2 electrical bits on the left side at the back
remove the earth connection from the front
Unplug the vacuum connection to the green reservoir
Remove the coolant connection to the inlet manifold
Remove 3 securing bolts
Check the condition of all the vacuum pipes, do one at a time its a bit complex back there

That should give you enough slack to move the carb over to the right out the way, next get the manifold off:
Undo all 6 bolts, remove manifold.

Then lever out the knackered old oring and clean up the hole it came out of. While you're here check the inlet manifold preheater. Then fit the new gasket & oring, refitting is the reverse of removal?

Edit: Whilst you're there you might want to replace the core plugs that are only accessible when manifold is off. (thanks for the tip pmhpmh!)

« Last Edit: 07 February 2007, 10:57 by rubjonny »
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
Re: HOW TO: Repair your troublesome 1.6/1.8 Pierburg 2e2 Carb
« Reply #1 on: 25 January 2006, 11:42 »
Tips from Drew21
the channel heater unit should get a permanent 12v and is earthed through the carb, if not working check the volts at the connector and check the carb earth strap

3/4 point unit, when you turn the engine off the piston should fully withdraw and the extend to its starting position. Failiure to do this indiates a fault with the overrun solenoid.

pull down unit
to check for vac leaks in this unit attach a pipe to the lower port and unplug the upper port. Suck on the pipe. The arm should move a small amount and then stop when the vac collapes. Then if you put your finger over the upper port ad keep sucking the arm should withdraw a bit more and hold vacuum. If it fails to hold vac then replace.

hot air flap, this can seize during the summer as it doesn't get much use. So as the weather gets colder its worth spraying ome WD40 on this and making sure it moves

poor running can be caused by air leaks around the base flange, can be a cheap fix if you're having problems with missing at idle. To locate vac leaks try spraying gamping gaz (carefully) around the vac pipes and the base of the carb. Changes in idling should be heard when you find the leak!!

Tips from Mark25
some stuff about the part throttle channel heater:

With the ignition off and the heater supply wire dissconnected, the resistance of the heater is about 3.8 ohms measured back to the negative of the battery. So this value includes all the wiring and earth straps back through the carb and engine.

With the ignition on and the heater supply wire connected, I have 11.3 at the heater supply wire. Therefore I am loosing about 0.5v across the switch or relay that controls the heater.

I think the symptoms if it?s not working are; the car runs rough until the engine is totally warm. You can get round this with a manual choke by just leaving it out longer. With mine I can put the choke in as soon as I?m out the drive way, in all but the coldest, ie ?5oC, weather.

The above tests were done on a unit that had been transfered to a weber.

Mark

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
Re: HOW TO: Repair your troublesome 1.6/1.8 Pierburg 2e2 Carb
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2006, 11:43 »
Vacuum diagrams:

Rear of carb, the tube in the red circle is where the vacuum pipe to the airbox connects:

Vacuum overview:
« Last Edit: 07 February 2007, 10:56 by rubjonny »